Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
Just picked up the alpine green iPhone 13 pro max. Got home, took it out of the box. The edge has a weird blemish spot and a round spot only visible when there are fingerprints. It’s super noticeable. See picture.

Worth a swap out at the apple store?

Attachments

• C4FF4D75-6D26-4122-8D1E-8B63764C6390.jpeg
    C4FF4D75-6D26-4122-8D1E-8B63764C6390.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 718
Just picked up the alpine green iPhone 13 pro max. Got home, took it out of the box. The edge has a weird blemish spot and a round spot only visible when there are fingerprints. It’s super noticeable. See picture.

Manufacturing color coating issue. I would return it asap and get a new one. Sorry :(

spamaka

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2019

Definitely swap it out at the Apple Store. Your new phone should be pristine especially because of how expensive they are.

tedley

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Sacramento
Second one:

😥
Sorry to see that.

That's why my next phone will be silver. Boring, yeah, in a way and classy in another. BUT, IF it gets scratched AND IF I care, I can buff out the scratches. You can't buff anything off the painted phones, and I LOVE that green. No worries about the paint coming off with silver. I keep my phones for several years and I put them in a case so color isn't a big deal to me. To me phones are more tools than fashion accessories.

Last edited:

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
I tend to use clear cases on my phones and tablets (when I use one) and there's no way I would accept that. If using a case that hides it, however, that would be easier for me to tolerate. Ultimately, it's up to you...

Edit: I do love that color! Definitely would clear-case that one to show it off!

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Second one:

?
I would swap out a second time. If it were me it bother me too much. Once I saw that I could not unsee it.

If you go to the Apple Store, open the phone on the spot and check it there. That you can ensure that way you get a phone free if that defect. That is what I would do. It will save you another trip to the Apple Store.

Last edited:

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Initiate a return, it’s no questions asked, so you have no burden to prove anything. One of the options for return is to exchange with another unit. If done at the Apple store, they will walk right out with a new-in-box phone. If done online you have to arrange the shipping, I don’t remember if you pay for shipping back or not. You also have 14 days, so you don’t exactly have to go jump in your car.

twocents

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2016
California, USA
The only acceptable manufacturing defect in years were the very rare silver iPad pro with a gold touch ID ring.

apple has built their product lineup around a higher-end lifestyle. iPhone is at the core of that. Just imagine Steve Jobs‘ reaction opening the box to this.
No offense, if you’re keeping it, just makes it unique then..

XVIII

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2022
Definitely swap it. Phone is paid at premium price, it's not acceptable to have such visible defect.

Reactions: MacLappy

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I had a very noticeable blemish on the SS band of my 12P Max Graphite when I got it at launch. Wouldn’t rub or buff out. I do the iUp program and knew I would only have it a year so I kept it. I also case my phones.

Your situation may be different though. If I was buying a phone that I’d be keeping for a few years and it came looking like that, I’d return it. They didn’t advertise those blemishes when it was announced at the Spring event so I wouldn’t accept it like that.

Part of the cost you pay for the phone includes the manufacturing process and blemishes were not part of the deal.

Last edited:

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I personally wouldn’t be too bothered about a minor imperfection. I use cases anyway so it’s not something I’d really ever notice.

jdoyle

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
Just get it replaced. its bothering you smooch that you posted to a forum about it. They will exchange it no questions asked. Apple's demographic expect perfection and we pay handsomely for it. Mass produced items sometimes have imperfections and they are happy to replace

Reactions: MacLappy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.