Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madrigal77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2018
Bit of a rant, but I find it unbelievable that there are still many apps that don’t support landscape mode on iPad. Especially with iOS13, a lot more people are using their iPad with a keyboard. There’s no excuse for this. I’m sick and tired of having to crook my neck sideways!

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
The Sky+ app still hasn’t been updated for the face ID generation of phones!

Oh and it doesn’t support landscape either

6bcb0e9e418141e84ad0e9db4be374ab.jpg

Reactions: dk001 and Shirasaki

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
Bit of a rant, but I find it unbelievable that there are still many apps that don’t support landscape mode on iPad. Especially with iOS13, a lot more people are using their iPad with a keyboard. There’s no excuse for this. I’m sick and tired of having to crook my neck sideways!

Those aren't iPad apps then. I believe iPad apps must support both orientations. If it doesn't, then it' just an iPhone app zoomed to full (i.e. Instagram).

Branaghan

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2019
You know you are dealing with a lazy and ****** developer when you find an app that only works in portrait mode for the iPAD... I always use apps in landscape and I haaaaaaaaaaaaate when it only works in portrait.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
The Sky+ app still hasn’t been updated for the face ID generation of phones!

Oh and it doesn’t support landscape either

6bcb0e9e418141e84ad0e9db4be374ab.jpg
I think they ditched the Sky+ app didnt they? There used to be separate Sky+, Sky Q and Sky Go apps but they merged the Sky Q and Sky Go apps and i think they moved on from Sky+. The last update for the app was Sept 2017 looking at the App Store. The latest Sky Go app does landscape on the iPad.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
Don't use iPhone apps on the iPad.?‍♂️
I know, they falsely show up as iPad apps on the App Store, but they are still iPhone apps.
[automerge]1591294060[/automerge]
You know you are dealing with a lazy and ****** developer when you find an app that only works in portrait mode for the iPAD... I always use apps in landscape and I haaaaaaaaaaaaate when it only works in portrait.
You should try more apps in portrait. Often can show you more content (Safari, for example).?

Woodstockie

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2015
NY
AliExpress is even going backwards, they offered landscape, but since last week are portrait only on the iPad. Who came up with that idea? Indeed with more keyboard cases, landscape orientation seems to be the way forward, not portrait.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
AliExpress is even going backwards, they offered landscape, but since last week are portrait only on the iPad. Who came up with that idea? Indeed with more keyboard cases, landscape orientation seems to be the way forward, not portrait.
Completely wrong. The way forward was, and always should be portrait and landscape.

madrigal77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2018
I’m not talking about iPhone only apps that just take up the middle of the screen in portrait. I mean full resolution iPad apps that do not support landscape. Crap like this:

Attachments

• A81CB4B7-AED9-4E4B-BF9A-5A56035DE7DA.jpeg
    A81CB4B7-AED9-4E4B-BF9A-5A56035DE7DA.jpeg
    216.9 KB · Views: 242
Reactions: dk001

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
I’m not talking about iPhone only apps that just take up the middle of the screen in portrait. I mean full resolution iPad apps that do not support landscape. Crap like this:
Wow, that sucks. Apps always should be both ways. It also gets on my nerves, when an app only supports landscape.

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
I think they ditched the Sky+ app didnt they? There used to be separate Sky+, Sky Q and Sky Go apps but they merged the Sky Q and Sky Go apps and i think they moved on from Sky+. The last update for the app was Sept 2017 looking at the App Store. The latest Sky Go app does landscape on the iPad.

The Sky Go app cant be used as a remote control like the Sky+ app can, which sucks :(

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Those aren't iPad apps then. I believe iPad apps must support both orientations. If it doesn't, then it' just an iPhone app zoomed to full (i.e. Instagram).

Not exactly true. I have run into a few apps that only support portrait mode irrespective of device.
These are not the iPhone/iPod only apps.

Branaghan

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2019
Don't use iPhone apps on the iPad.?‍♂️
I know, they falsely show up as iPad apps on the App Store, but they are still iPhone apps.
[automerge]1591294060[/automerge]

You should try more apps in portrait. Often can show you more content (Safari, for example).?
You are missing the point. These apps are made for the iPAD but they were in fact designed to be used for the iPhone. When you download an app from the Apple Store you are already redirected to the iPAD version.

Which means they only work in portrait mode and don't offer both options (portrait + landscape). This is what everyone expects, an app that has both ways.

Sometimes you are using a tablet stand and in your bed, and adjusting the iPAD for portrait mode is not practical. I know there are different stands, however some are perfect or better for landscape and not useful for portrait.

Still you have to do it because someone was lazy enough to not spend 2 more minutes adjusting the app for iPAD users...

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
The Sky Go app cant be used as a remote control like the Sky+ app can, which sucks :(
Yep, used to use it a fair bit for the remote function. We’ve got sky q so don’t think the sky+ app ever worked with it. I do prefer how the sky go and sky q app are now just all one app however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.