Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Just wondering if anyone else's iOS 6.x installs are no longer loading map tiles/vector data for Maps.app. This has only been within the last month or so that I've noticed. Using the "standard" view results in an empty grid and using "hybrid" only displays satellite data with no overlays. Interestingly, POI search and directions (just with no cartographical data) still seem to work fine.

I've tested this on 6.0.x and 6.1.x on iPhone, iPad, and iPod. Hopefully this clears itself up (like the Weather.app bugs over the last few years), but I was really curious if this was affecting anyone else. If it doesn't go away soon, so help me, I will file (and refile) a bug report until they ban my account.

Pojo99

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2015
Well 2 days ago I tested this with my old iPhone 4s. The tiles didn't load, but all points of interest were searchable. If I wanted to navigate in the car I would be following audio prompts only:( But when I was ready to reply with outrage I tested it one more time- and it works fine now. So the 4s will avoid updating to iOS 9 for now...

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Well 2 days ago I tested this with my old iPhone 4s. The tiles didn't load, but all points of interest were searchable. If I wanted to navigate in the car I would be following audio prompts only:( But when I was ready to reply with outrage, I tested it one more time - and it works fine now. So the 4s will avoid updating to iOS 9 for now...
That's interesting. I've still got nothing on my end on any of my devices. Side note, you can always use Google Maps (3.2.6 works well with iOS 6 and still works) because iOS 9 does not do well on the 4S, that's for sure.

Pojo99

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2015
That's interesting. I've still got nothing on my end on any of my devices. Side note, you can always use Google Maps (3.2.6 works well with iOS 6 and still works) because iOS 9 does not do well on the 4S, that's for sure.

I have tied my old iphone 4s again and the "tile loading" no longer works. It's not my primary phone but I have switched to hybrid view for apple maps in case I need to use it, and also took your suggestion to download google maps. I should try and remember to test ios 6 maps every time there is an ios update because for one brief period, the functionality turned back on.
EDIT
Very strange indeed. As I am writing this post I remembered you saying that ios 6 maps "hybrid" had no overlays. But on my phone it does, even as "standard" does not. And then as I switched between the 3 views, "standard" started working again. So I did some tests...
A long distance gps route did not load any tiles except for the local "rectangle" I am in now. Zooming in and out with the pinch method cleared it up and it is working properly.

Hmm, the act of switching between standard, satellite and hybrid somehow jump-started the tiles to load. To minimize my frustration on when standard view breaks again, I will leave it in hybrid and let you know if it fails to show streets.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I have tied my old iphone 4s again and the "tile loading" no longer works. It's not my primary phone but I have switched to hybrid view for apple maps in case I need to use it, and also took your suggestion to download google maps. I should try and remember to test ios 6 maps every time there is an ios update because for one brief period, the functionality turned back on.
EDIT
Very strange indeed. As I am writing this post I remembered you saying that ios 6 maps "hybrid" had no overlays. But on my phone it does, even as "standard" does not. And then as I switched between the 3 views, "standard" started working again. So I did some tests...
A long distance gps route did not load any tiles except for the local "rectangle" I am in now. Zooming in and out with the pinch method cleared it up and it is working properly.

Hmm, the act of switching between standard, satellite and hybrid somehow jump-started the tiles to load. To minimize my frustration on when standard view breaks again, I will leave it in hybrid and let you know if it fails to show streets.
So weird. Thank you for the update. Fwiw, I filed a radar with Apple and while I don't actually expect them to acknowledge it, I did the same when Siri weather stopped working on iOS 6 last year and they actually replied so you never know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.