Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
I have a 2013 Cruze, so no CarPlay. It has Bluetooth but I never connect it and it has an Automatic OBD reader. The feature has yet to work for me at all. That being said, once i get out of class, I will pair my phone via bluetooth to my phone on the way home and see if it pops up then.

FWIW, I paired my iPhone with my car and it worked instantly. I'm fairly certain that it works via CarPlay or Bluetooth. Also my car shows as "Your Vehicle".

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
FWIW, I paired my iPhone with my car and it worked instantly. I'm fairly certain that it works via CarPlay or Bluetooth. Also my car shows as "Your Vehicle".

Everyone who it's working for's car shows as "Your vehicle". The question is why it doesn't work for some. It seems to be mostly aftermarket stuff that doesn't work but even then that works, or partially works, for some.

Edit: Actually I take the "Your vehicle" part back. It says "Parked Car" in maps for the pushpin. Where are you seeing "Your Vehicle"?

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
I wasn't able to get Parking location to work until I enabled "Frequent Locations" under Privacy -> Location -> System Services.

I don't think there's a specific car identifier in the BT address; iOS 10 is just monitoring your current position (and thus your speed) when you have Frequent Locations on.

Then I assume it learns what common BT device is connected (besides the Apple Watch of course) while moving locations and tries to give you an approximate parking location.

Since I had Frequent Locations on I've gotten Parking notifications for every stop I made today during errands.

My BT device is the MB C300 '15.
If that is it, then it's similar to the Google way. And I've fooled it enough times. Slow drive to the train station, then get to the station late, and a very fast walk/run to catch the train. it does not record my stopping until I get to my destination.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
So... sans bt connection; any way to manually hit "parked my car here", before popping into the theme park or wherever??

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
So... sans bt connection; any way to manually hit "parked my car here", before popping into the theme park or wherever??
In maps, tap your current location. Select mark location and a pin will be dropped.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
In maps, tap your current location. Select mark location and a pin will be dropped.

Gotcha....
I've honestly never "dropped a pin" before in maps. Does it provide options to add snapped car level/spot location, like the new "parked car" feature?

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 110

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Im guessing it's not so much the name but the typical profiles a car bluetooth possesses. Like the phonebook profile?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Im guessing it's not so much the name but the typical profiles a car bluetooth possesses. Like the phonebook profile?

That's my guess. Hands Free Profile (HFP) which is distinct from Headset Profile (HSP). It's hard to sort through the anecdotal accounts here on MR to check that theory though. That may be supplemented by something else about the connection too but I doubt we're going to get a definitive answer here either way.

Reactions: Smith288
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.