Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Any one know how to turn off dark mode on the Map app? I’ve not got dark mode turned on on my phone or watch but it’s on on the maps app and the Find My apps on the watch.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
From what I'm reading online, there's no way to change that on the Apple Watch. It's not really a dark "mode" - it's just the default way the Apple Watch displays the Maps app with no option to change it.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
From what I'm reading online, there's no way to change that on the Apple Watch. It's not really a dark "mode" - it's just the default way the Apple Watch displays the Maps app with no option to change it.
I thought Maps was set to match system default of your iPhone so if the OP has it set to dark mode always then it's dark mode on Maps.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I thought Maps was set to match system default of your iPhone so if the OP has it set to dark mode always then it's dark mode on Maps.

Apparently not. As the OP stated, he doesn't have Dark Mode enabled on his iPhone. It seems that the default appearance of Maps on AW happens to resemble what is called "Dark Mode" on iPhone.

afd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Pretty sure it used to resemble light mode. Not sure when it started resembling dark mode.
I’m not a fan of dark mode at all and find the maps that resemble light mode much easier to read, so I hope apple add options to this in future versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.