Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacWorks916

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
I’d say half the time the map is backwards in CarPlay. So if I’m heading North the map has it backwards where I’m going South. It will stay like this through several turns and never corrects itself. The only way to get it to operate properly is if I put in a destination and then it works as its supposed to.

Has anyone else experienced this as well and found a fix? BTW, my stereo came with a GPS antenna, which is mounted on the dash. So I don’t think signal strength is the problem.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Do you mean that heading up for forward and down for behind you is reversed or do you mean the actual North and South directions are reversed? If North and South are East and West also reversed?

Also your car's GPS is not used so that is irrelevant. Is your car stereo an OEM or aftermarket and is it CarPlay or iPhone Mirroring?

MacWorks916

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
Let's say I'm traveling due North on the freeway (arrow up) with a lake on my right. On the map it'll show me traveling South with the lake on my left, as if driving backwards (arrow still pointing up). It does this regardless if I have the arrow always pointing North or up.

The stereo is the Alpine iLX-107 and it has a GPS antenna as part of the stereo. So it takes the signal from the phone and the GPS antenna extends it.

I've had the system install for about 4 months now yet this abdominally has been only happing for the last 2 months, never happened before. Running iOS 11.1.1 on an iPhone 8.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
on my VW I press the map screen near the top - it shows an arrow and 3D- I press the arrow -sometimes twice- until it points up - then it seems to fix itself - not sure it is exactly your problem but....

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
on my VW I press the map screen near the top - it shows an arrow and 3D- I press the arrow -sometimes twice- until it points up - then it seems to fix itself - not sure it is exactly your problem but....
That is a selection. It is Heading Up (circled arrow facing up) or North Up selection (no circle and NOT facing straight up). Heading Up 'rotates' the virtual map so the top is always the direction you are traveling. North Up is like looking at a 'real' map in which the top is always North. So North up and you are driving East the arrow (car travel) will be 3:00 (right).
[doublepost=1511993620][/doublepost]
Let's say I'm traveling due North on the freeway (arrow up) with a lake on my right. On the map it'll show me traveling South with the lake on my left, as if driving backwards (arrow still pointing up). It does this regardless if I have the arrow always pointing North or up....
So Heading Up and traveling East does it show you traveling West (just like backwards again)? [Wild Speculation]If so I wonder if there is a bug in the Alpine that is reversing the gyro/altimeter data?[/Wild Speculation]

Again I'm not sure if it uses that but it must since in a Wifi system you could have your iPhone in any position. In the chance this is the iPhone's gyro/altimeter data have you tried repositioning your iPhone?

Last edited:

MacWorks916

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
If North is the selection and I'm traveling East the Map will show it as traveling West. Again, the complete opposite of the direction of travel.

Position of the phone has no effect of the results the display is showing. As noted previously, it didn't do this once during the first couple of months of use. Only after some of the recent iOS updates has it started to happen. So I doubt it's the Alpine stereo.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
If North is the selection and I'm traveling East the Map will show it as traveling West. Again, the complete opposite of the direction of travel.

Position of the phone has no effect of the results the display is showing. As noted previously, it didn't do this once during the first couple of months of use. Only after some of the recent iOS updates has it started to happen. So I doubt it's the Alpine stereo.
Try some troubleshooting:

• Just use iPhone and see if it is OK
  • Try unplugging the GPS antenna from the Alpine (use iPhone's internal)
  • Use Firewire (not WiFi) and check
  • Try using another iPhone and see if same results
  • Try using your iphone in someone else CarPlay

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.