Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

niewiesznic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Internet
Dear All!

I have Marantz NR1510 AVR, to its input I have connected PS4 Pro, APPLE TV 4K (new pilot), output is Toshiba TV (adroid tv 11 based, 55QA5D63DG). To my surprise CEC (HDMI control and eArc) is not working. All Cables are certified ULTRA HIGH SPEED, HDMI 2.1.
When I connect ATV4K to TV directly I can turn on CEC on my Apple TV. When I plug my ATV directly to AVR (marantz) The CEC option in ATV is turnus off and greyed out.

All devices have CEC turned on.

I have tried to reset do factory settings my AVR and ATV4K. Nothing changed.

What is wrong?

Help!

I can use all devices, i have sound and video, however i can not use CEC for steering devices with one remote.

All The best,
N.

Attachments

• 13FC2FE7-CB7B-4404-8E90-6D5DF599F6D9.jpeg
    13FC2FE7-CB7B-4404-8E90-6D5DF599F6D9.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 292
  • 1FF38820-9E1F-4EC3-873A-C7D3F7F71F69.jpeg
    1FF38820-9E1F-4EC3-873A-C7D3F7F71F69.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 106
  • D2416564-25C3-4D1D-BE22-E3289F882118.jpeg
    D2416564-25C3-4D1D-BE22-E3289F882118.jpeg
    303.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 23CCFEBE-C395-4F46-9457-1F5FA289543E.jpeg
    23CCFEBE-C395-4F46-9457-1F5FA289543E.jpeg
    300.1 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: George Dawes

alexanderswift

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2023
Hello,

I've got the same issue and plus very low output volume and it started just a few days ago (having worked just fine for 2 years) post Apple tvOS 16.3 update a few days ago. There's articles around 'Massive ARC Problems after tvOS 16.3', I haven't found the proper fix but found a workaround. I have a Denon and looking at the screenshots you provided they used the same software across all their brands.

On your receiver go to General > Information and Input Signal might show 'unknown'.

I've done all the tech support 101 stuff I’m an engineer thus can confidently say if the eARC / ARC signal contains no protocol your receiver/ TV won’t know what to do with the signal. (Switch to 16bit audio on the Apple TV to use an old protocol and your volume might increase but that’s not a fix it's what made me follow this).

On your receiver go to Video > HDMI Setup turn off HDMI Control I get my output volume back but lost my HDMI control.

Equipment. Apple TV 4k (circa 2020) and Sony TV (circa 2018) both connected to the Denon AVR-S750H

Good luck

Al

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
when I was young I was not allowed in the Marantz part of the electronics store.
therefore I can't offer any help on this situation.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I had CEC enabled on my Marantz SR8015 with Apple TV, Roku, Oppo, Comcast, and Shield. When I turned on a device with my Harmony remote the input would randomly go to any device which was powered on which often was not the device I had selected. Had to disable it as it was chaos.

alexanderswift

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2023
Okay, I think I’ve solved my issue, and while I thought there was no difference in HDMI cables, turns out there is. I went to the Apple Store booked an appointment to have them plug-in and do the diagnostic, the diagnostic came back clean. I had a chat with a very knowledgeable Apple genius person and it was interesting that he didn’t say why, when I sure did the video of what was going on he just instantly said it is the cables, I purchased two minutes of 4K, certified Belfin cables, and everything works again.

I’m thinking Apple have changed in their software in the negotiation that happens for HDMI 🤷‍♂️

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
HDMI CEC is a total nightmare , I had a Denon x2800h and it was useless , nothing worked , swapped it for a Yamaha a2a now it all works ok .. bizarre

I think a lot of the problems are down to manufacturers different implementations of this so called standard

niewiesznic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Internet
HDMI CEC is a total nightmare , I had a Denon x2800h and it was useless , nothing worked , swapped it for a Yamaha a2a now it all works ok .. bizarre

I think a lot of the problems are down to manufacturers different implementations of this so called standard
Suddenly, when CEC is turned on, all devices, I get no sound through Marantz. Turning CEC off on all devices brings sound back. WTF?

niewiesznic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Internet
Hello,

I've got the same issue and plus very low output volume and it started just a few days ago (having worked just fine for 2 years) post Apple tvOS 16.3 update a few days ago. There's articles around 'Massive ARC Problems after tvOS 16.3', I haven't found the proper fix but found a workaround. I have a Denon and looking at the screenshots you provided they used the same software across all their brands.

On your receiver go to General > Information and Input Signal might show 'unknown'.

I've done all the tech support 101 stuff I’m an engineer thus can confidently say if the eARC / ARC signal contains no protocol your receiver/ TV won’t know what to do with the signal. (Switch to 16bit audio on the Apple TV to use an old protocol and your volume might increase but that’s not a fix it's what made me follow this).

On your receiver go to Video > HDMI Setup turn off HDMI Control I get my output volume back but lost my HDMI control.

Equipment. Apple TV 4k (circa 2020) and Sony TV (circa 2018) both connected to the Denon AVR-S750H

Good luck

Al
My volume output was ok, until recently all sound is gone when CEC is turned on.
I don't know what to do... I have turned off all eARC/CEC in all machines.

niewiesznic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Internet
I have borrowed first gen ATV4K, and it did not work either. However i plugged this one to front HDMI (AUX) and is working. TV still does not recognize CEC or ARC devices…
Even PS4 starts up the AVR, and turns off the AVR. TV does not work with AVR. Still No CEC devices found.

Jdhommert

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
I’ve been having issues since 16.3 myself. Since I updated, most of the time the video signal has not worked. I have newer high speed HDMI cables. I could get everything to work except Dolby Vision I think. I use the eARC port on my Sony OLED, because I have paired HomePods and I want all my sound coming through them.

Oddly, when I switched to an old crappy unlabeled HDMI cable, it see,ed to work again. Putting the same high speed HDMI on my other TV with the 2021 Apple TV worked fine. No eARC port there. So I went out and bought an ultra high speed 8K cable and it fixed it!

No, it didn’t. Went to turn my TV on 24 hours later, and same crap. No video signal to the TV. Extremely frustrating when the AppleTV is how I watch literally everything. Ugghhhhhhh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.