Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
Can't believe nobody is talking about this. This IS a Macintosh forum, right? :eek:

http://www.xbox.com:80/en-US/games/m/marathondurandalxboxlivearcade/default.htm

http://freeverse.com/games/game/?id=7009

I've only played the three Marathon demos back in the day on a Quadra 650 when I was 10, so I really don't think of Marathon as one of the greatest FPS's ever. I remember watching the demo video if you leave it at the menu screen long enough and was impressed by the multiplayer. Actually playing it now, I wonder what went wrong. The maps are kind of small arenas, like Metroid Prime: Hunters on the DS, except slightly bigger and a few more areas of cover. It's fun, but not amazing.

Single player is better. I didn't remember the game being so simple. No reloading, crouching, or jumping. Still decent fun. And the graphics are updated for your enjoyment.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Probably because everyone has it already :p I mean, isn't this game already out as freeware/abandonware?

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
Probably because everyone has it already :p I mean, isn't this game already out as freeware/abandonware?

Maybe it's easy if you're playing the Windows version, but if you're playing the Mac version, you probably need a Mac OS 9 booting Mac or an emulator.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Marathon on an XBox? oh... that makes me feel ill

It's bad enough Microsoft stole Bungie away from the Mac community for Halo

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Maybe it's easy if you're playing the Windows version, but if you're playing the Mac version, you probably need a Mac OS 9 booting Mac or an emulator.

I'm sure I had something with a funky name that was an OSX native "launcher" of sorts. I'll have to find that again now I've got a 360 controller and a big monitor :) last time on a 12" PB with the keyboard... now that was a boo too :(

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003

Symtex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2005
I was wondering how long it would take before someone mention in this thread how Microsoft has stole bungie from the Mac community....

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Sorry...I can't believe they're charging for this.
If anything, they could've had it as a bonus/unlockable on Halo 3.

The Marathon source code was released years ago, as was the source code for the official releases...AND there's unofficial releases out there as well...all free of charge. $0 legally.

I'm a little miffed that they port it to the 360, add achievements, and sell it for $10, but eh...I won't complain much; I just won't buy it. :p :D

I did however gladly pay $5 for Spyglass Board games. Checkers and chess FTW!!~!

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Can't believe nobody is talking about this. This IS a Macintosh forum, right? :eek:

http://www.xbox.com:80/en-US/games/m/marathondurandalxboxlivearcade/default.htm

http://freeverse.com/games/game/?id=7009

I've only played the three Marathon demos back in the day on a Quadra 650 when I was 10, so I really don't think of Marathon as one of the greatest FPS's ever. I remember watching the demo video if you leave it at the menu screen long enough and was impressed by the multiplayer. Actually playing it now, I wonder what went wrong. The maps are kind of small arenas, like Metroid Prime: Hunters on the DS, except slightly bigger and a few more areas of cover. It's fun, but not amazing.

Single player is better. I didn't remember the game being so simple. No reloading, crouching, or jumping. Still decent fun. And the graphics are updated for your enjoyment.

Nobody is talking about it because yeah, Marathon has been freeware for a long time now. And of course Marathon is not going to be as good as other stuff out there because the game was released in 1994 but if you had played the game back then... lets just say you'd have awed the same way you will awe when you see Crysis in action on a good computer ;)

Man the 90s (especially early and mid) were such a great time to own a Mac, even on the gaming front macs ruled (sure we still got late releases but it didn't matter much when all PCs got was Doom when we had Marathon :) )

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
I played the demo, it's the same thing as Doom (which i unfortunately already bought for XBL Arcade), but better graphically. No sense getting both, although i prefer Marathon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.