Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Just saw a story about the full release of the Marathon: Resurrection mod. Looks interesting.

But, it apparently requires the ORIGINAL Unreal Tournament to run! Does this even work on OS X (too many references to Classic in the M:R specs for my comfort)? Can you even buy the original UT outside of eBay? And how great can anything look on software that old? I appreciate that it took them 7 (!!!) years to do this mod, but you think they might have ported it to something more capable in the meantime... Aleph One is still looking pretty good.

Their requirements:
"- Any computer system that can run aforementioned copy of Unreal Tournament including, but not limited to computers that run Windows XP, Mac OS 9, Mac OS X with Classic (OS 9 environment), Mac OS X with Unreal Tournament with the Unreal Tournament OS X Preview 3 Release."

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Does this even work on OS X (too many references to Classic in the M:R specs for my comfort)?

Yes, there's an OS X port, though apparently it's not 100% complete (no music and maybe a couple of other things).

Can you even buy the original UT outside of eBay?

Sure. You can't buy it new, however. ;)

And how great can anything look on software that old? I appreciate that it took them 7 (!!!) years to do this mod, but you think they might have ported it to something more capable in the meantime...

Well...if they did that, then they would have ended up in the Duke Nukem Forever zone. i.e., constantly starting over with new engines and never getting done. It was better to finish with an old engine than to never finish.

--Eric

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Wow awesome I remember seeing this mod like a million years ago, can't believe its finally done.

Well I guess its time to dig out that trusty G4 and my Unreal Tournament disc.

torchwood04

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
I play UT X pr3 on my Mac mini Intel, it runs well, but it is a bit glitchy, and yeah, no music, but that's okay, I just play iTunes while I play. It runs very well @ 1024x768 too..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.