Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gaétan Char

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2021
I bought a Mac Pro with 16 core about 2 months ago, it came with a Radeon Pro W5700X. I upgraded to a Vega II card so I coud have rendering of video done faster using the GPU of the card. At first it worked fine and Final Cut pro was using about 80% of the GPU when rendering and exporting file in .mov or .mv4 format. Then one day the computer froze and I had to make a hard sut down, afterward it did shut down by itself about 4 times. I noticed after those events that when I was doing some video editing and exporting, Final cut pro or Compressor where using only 10 to 20% of the GPU. I called Apple support and they could not resolved the issue and told me to return the Mac Pro and order a new one which I did.

Yesterday I received the new Mac Pro and restored all my software with time machine and install the Vega II card and made a few test with Final Cut pro and compressor and they still are not using the GPU. I have tried with the card that it came in with, a Radeon Pro 580X and still does not use the GPU even after I made sure the software was set to use the GPU.

Does any of you guys encountered such a problem?

rondocap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Maybe it’s the codec you’re using, some that use t2 chip decoding may not use much of the gpu. Can you try some type of raw video file or similar?

Reactions: OkiRun

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
Your first Mac Pro came with a w5700x, then you "removed" that card completely and "replaced" it with a Vega II... right?

Then the replacement Mac Pro came with a 580x (vs a w5700x)... right?

Gaétan Char

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2021
Your first Mac Pro came with a w5700x, then you "removed" that card completely and "replaced" it with a Vega II... right?

Then the replacement Mac Pro came with a 580x (vs a w5700x)... right?
Yes to both questions. But a minor correction, it did use the GPU but only 20% at times when it was using 75 to 80% when I first got the mac and installed the Vega II card.

Last edited:

arche3

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2020
What is the original video file format? You can check against Vega specs to see if it has the codecs for it. I think the Vega is actually older tech than the 5700. I have a dual 5700 rig and a 16inch mbp with 5600m using red raw r3d 5k footage, 6k footage when I export or render in session they always use pretty much maxed gpu. In premiere pro and after effects.

Reactions: OkiRun

Gaétan Char

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2021
I do not have red raw or 5k footage just 4k which I have tried to export and render in many different format still not using the GPU but using the 16 cores of the processor of the computer. I have also tried it with compressor same situation. I used another program Topaz video enhance AI to convert video files to a high res format and it does use the card GPU to about 60 %. I have also downloaded a game to see how much it would use the GPU and make sure the card was OK it did use at least 80 to 90% of it. I got some screen shot of the GPU monitor of the many test I did. I have attracted them here.

Attachments

• Tom Raider game.png
    Tom Raider game.png
    3 MB · Views: 101
  • 4K rendering.png
    4K rendering.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 114
  • Configuration.png
    Configuration.png
    576.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Topaz AI.png
    Topaz AI.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 122
  • Prores rendering.png
    Prores rendering.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 106

Gaétan Char

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2021
I have imported 8K red raw files after I installed the plugin for Final Cut Pro and when it did the rendering it use about 50% of the GPU, so by this test, it looks as if the card is working well and so is the Macpro. My question stil remain, why was it using the same percentage of the GPU before when I was rendering regular 1080p footage and it is only using 10% now and using the 16cores processors instead? Anyway thanks for all the help that you have given me, it gives me a sense of relief knowing the computer is working fine.

Attachments

• 8K footage rendering.png
    8K footage rendering.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 109
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.