Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Doubt it. Since Apple isn’t a financial institution GS are most likely staying fast with the current rate.

Remember, not a lot of HYSA were at the rate of “Apple’s” HYSA at the time so it did what I think a lot of people thought it would, put other banks/credit unions on notice and forced them to put up or shut up. Some didn’t and some did but the way the economy is right now lending money is reaping insane profits and HYSA accounts entice folks to store money that those banks use to make stupid money. Consumers were already being taken advantage of with low APY’s AND high rates so when Apple made it main stream I truly think people started questioning what their institutions did, I know I did and moved my money instantly as I was making $.01 on a large chunk of savings with a bank I’ve been with for decades.

Lastly, it’s only been maybe 3-4 months since the savings accounts was available so unless GS start’s seeing money leave in droves then the APY is staying the same for at least a yr I expect. Personally I hope it stays at the current rate because once the economy starts coming back down those banks that were quick to increase rates will be faster to decrease them and possibly below Apple’s.

Last edited:

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
I pulled all my money out of Apple's savings account and now get a much better rate. It's very easy in today's financial world to move money around.

Tokenfreak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah looks like I’ll be pulling all my money out of Apple Savings account and moving it back to Discover since they are paying 4.30% as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.