Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Frankly, I can't stand Bowser Jr.; I want my Koopalings back.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koopalings

Here here!

Anyways, I hated Sunshine. The controls just didn't work for this game. Then you have those silly FLUDD-less platforming scenes to get your stupid Shine. Totally gave up on that game.

It's a graphically beautiful game (and definitely shows what the GameCube and the Wii are capable of), but the controls were not tight and the gameplay was mediocre at best.

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Here here!

Anyways, I hated Sunshine. The controls just didn't work for this game. Then you have those silly FLUDD-less platforming scenes to get your stupid Shine. Totally gave up on that game.

It's a graphically beautiful game (and definitely shows what the GameCube and the Wii are capable of), but the controls were not tight and the gameplay was mediocre at best.

In M64 you were FLUDD less and were chasing after a Star!

SAME THING PEOPLE!

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
In M64 you were FLUDD less and were chasing after a Star!

SAME THING PEOPLE!

Except you didn't have gigantic jumps to make with weird platforms and wooden blocks rotating in all sorts of directions. It was too easy to die.

Consider this: I played Super Mario 64 by myself for the first time because of the Wii. I had like 70+ stars in a couple of days play. Sunshine? I have like 25 Shines at best.

Rice Cooka

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2006
Super Mario Sunshine is a GOOD game. One of the best platformers of the GC, PS2, XBox generation. It's predecessor Mario 64 is one of my top 3 games of all time (this is not nostalgia speaking as I downloaded 64 on the Virtual Console and STILL think no other 3D platformer can touch it). When you're following up a mind blowing, genre defining masterpiece, being just good isn't good enough.

Here were my 2 biggest gripes with Sunshine:

BIG Gripe #1 - Too much collecting. I know Mario 64 pioneered the "collect X pieces of crap" formula but, here's the difference: most of the time in 64 you were doing some fun task (racing a penguin, fighting a caterpillar, flying through rings). Sure it had a "collect 8 red coins" and a "collect 100 coins" star in each level but those were by far the weakest parts of it. Mario sunshine on the other hand had 2 or 3 (or more! I can't quite remember) "collect the coins" shines per level PLUS harder 100 coin shines PLUS other shines were the whole task was to FIND crap. Add in the incredibly tedious blue coin hunt and you have a game that eventually becomes a chore. I did not rest until I had 120 stars in M64 but I had no problems quitting Sunshine after only finding around 90 shines.

BIG Gripe #2 - Not enough freedom. I LOVED how in Mario 64, with very few exceptions, you could jump into a level and try to find any one of the 7 stars, not just the one for which a hint was provided. Consequently I HATED how in Sunshine most (if not all) of the time you were FORCED to go after a single particular shine because the level layouts changed and would only allow that single route. Ugh. Give me back my freedom to solve problems and find my own path to stars.

Other smaller gripes: Camera in the theme park level, most useless and unwieldy incarnation of Yoshi ever, abysmally bad cutscenes and an anticlimactic final battle.

To be honest, the most common complaints I hear about sunshine like it not being set in the mushroom kingdom, having to use a water pack and lack of variety in level settings did not bother me at all.

Like I said, it's STILL a good game, just disappointing. Among my Gamecube sequels to classic N64 games I would EASILY pick Wind Waker with all its flaws over Mario Sunshine.

I'm still almost peeing my pants in anticipation of Galaxy.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Oh yea, without a doubt Sunshine was the best platformer of last gen. Thing is all 3D platformers will be compared to Mario 64 until the next big one comes along. I've got high hopes for Galaxy (along with Nintendo's "revolution-evolution" cycle in consoles, the same can be applied to Mario games). It seems like it does have the freedom of Mario 64 and art direction of Sunshine (with much better soft lighting).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.