Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I came across this chart which might be an interesting data point…

EB750C0D-5A3B-4556-BC0A-63D55B9045DD.png

The Meta Quest 2 costs 359 euros. The Playstation VR costs 268 euros. Both are popular tech ‘presents’ which get given a lot during the holidays.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
if this is true the cumulative number of these buyers seems… rather irrelevant?

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Kuo projects that Apple is going to sell 2.5M to 3.5M units of the first gen headset in 2023, manufactured by Pegatron.

This first gen headset will get the software development going. It won't be, by any means, an impulse-buy present like those cheap VR headsets, it will be an advanced niche device, very pricey, mostly a dev kit initially. Dramatically more powerful and advanced. Can't really be compared to those other headsets.

Then in 2024 Apple is supposed to sell 8M to 10M headsets (that includes fist gen and second gen). The second gen model will be lighter and manufactured by Luxshare-ICT.

michaelprescott

Suspended
Aug 5, 2010
Here again, I agree with @giggles. There is just no fair comparison between what Apple has created and older wired headsets or low-end toys like the quest. Meta is certainly working on their next iterations as well, but I think Apple's upcoming headset... if you were to try to make a comparison would be like comparing a Raspberry PI to an Apple Studio with the M1 Ultra. They can both be called "computers", but the latter is many times more powerful and compliments or integrates well with a whole stack of other technologies, tools, and services.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I don’t think anything sensible can be said about sales of an Apple device until we know price and features. Also Apple brings its own market of buyers, who are more creative professionals than the gamer crowd who are attracted to the Meta Quest 2 and Playstation VR. But I don’t think Apple’s market for this product is bigger than the gamer market on the PC. The question is, can Apple deliver the features — hardware and software — to find traction?

I think it will be a tough sell.

Reactions: Slartibart
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.