Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redsoxmike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2022
Found someone selling a iPad Air Gen 3 iPad on FB Marketplace. He tells me the device is unopened and still sealed and pictures provided seem to be true to this end. He is asking only $350, which seems reasonable, however, I’m a bit leery due to potential battery issues.
As this device is going on 3 years old, do you think a) the battery may be compromised and b) it should be opened and tested prior to my purchasing it?

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
There's no way to know the condition of the battery without opening it up and testing it. Since the seller is advertising it as sealed I wouldn't expect him to do that for you.
Either take the chance or don't. If you don't buy it, someone else will I'm sure.
Personally for that price I'd be more inclined to buy a new iPad (not Air) for $329, but that's just me.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I see two problems:

• As @Darth.Titan mentioned, the seller will probably be very reluctant to check the device as if you choose not to purchase (for whatever reason) the device has now gone from sealed/new to mint/like new condition.

• Most likely, even if the seller opens the package, charges the iPad, goes through setup, and uses it for a few hours to check performance/checks it with an app such as coconutBatterey, then restores/resets it, that entire process has no guarantee of proving the battery is fine. At the minimum, the battery pack will need to go through at least one (though probably several) full charges cycles before exhibiting any possible damage/degradation.

Basically, such a request is not worthwhile on the seller’s behalf. So, yeah:
Either take the chance or don't.

Redsoxmike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2022
Thank you both. I opted to forgo the used Air and order a new standard 10.2” 2021 model and it was a bit cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.