Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I know it's normally considered best to buy games OFF the MAS. But I came across a website a while back that said some of the older games I'm interested in aren't optimized or updated for AS/M1 when sold on Steam.

Specifically, I'm looking to purchase Tropico 6, SimCity 4, SimCity, and/or Cities: Skylines.

I really just don't want to spend the money on an app that won't run. Both Steam and MAS aren't specific to my device. Some of my older games on MAS show "Works on this MacBook Pro" but they do not. Steam does not specify whether a game is 32 or 64 bit.

Reactions: Irishman

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I know it's normally considered best to buy games OFF the MAS. But I came across a website a while back that said some of the older games I'm interested in aren't optimized or updated for AS/M1 when sold on Steam.

Specifically, I'm looking to purchase Tropico 6, SimCity 4, SimCity, and/or Cities: Skylines.

I really just don't want to spend the money on an app that won't run. Both Steam and MAS aren't specific to my device. Some of my older games on MAS show "Works on this MacBook Pro" but they do not. Steam does not specify whether a game is 32 or 64 bit.

I feel you, man. One thing that I learned is that returns on Steam are pretty painless, especially if you try a game that ends up not working on your Mac. I bought Alien: Isolation on Steam but it didn’t launch, so I was able to get a refund back, no questions asked.

And my overall approach to buying games is if it’s multiplayer at all, I get the Steam version. If there’s no multiplayer component to it, then I go for the MAS version.

singularity0993

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2020
I always buy the Steam version because Steam purchases are cross-platform and has better multiplayer & cloud sync support. If the game supports M1 on MAS, there is no reason it doesn't on Steam.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.