Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davegreb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Atlanta,GA
I have an iphone 7 on ios 11.1.2, my wife has an iphone 6 ios 10.2.1.
I placed them next to each other, opened chrome on each and one after the other did a speed test.
She got 7MBPS and upload of 1MBPS, i got 120 download and 12MBPS upload. What could be causing this disparity?

Thanks

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
The iPhone 6 is three and a half generations old - I wouldn't expect it to keep up with something modern. It's also the oldest currently supported device.

Does this issue exist on wifi too? Have you tried hard resetting it?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I agree. Dump all open apps, do a two-button reset and retest on both LTE and wifi. But don't be surprised if the 7 comes out well ahead. The 6 is a leap back from the 7 (and even the 6S) in most respects. It could be that the cellular and wifi components are also significantly different (I didn't look up the specs).

Reactions: Newtons Apple

davegreb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Atlanta,GA
This was only tested on wifi. Did a switch off and restart and that made no difference. I will try the steps above and with LTE and see what happens.
However, older technology should still handle these speeds on wifi. It has an 802.11ac as is on my router.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
This was only tested on wifi. Did a switch off and restart and that made no difference. I will try the steps above and with LTE and see what happens.
However, older technology should still handle these speeds on wifi. It has an 802.11ac as is on my router.

My wife and I have had the same phone since the 5. I've found this to be the case (but nowhere near to this extent). Some phones do better than others speed wise. Location, case, where you hold the phone, where it sits on the table (one part being more dense than the other) can all affect it.

But a 7 vs 120 is HUGE. Do 10 tests and then compare the average results just in case someone was zapping food in a microwave during her test, or something like that. Try different servers just to be safe.

Like others posted - close all apps, restart phone (power+home), close all apps again - then do the test.

davegreb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Atlanta,GA
LTE speeds are the same.
Did a network reset,. no difference.
Took the case off both, no difference with either.
Closed all apps after the reset, no change.
Switched off wifi and turned it back on, mine suddenly dropped to 24 and then 10mbps.
The phones are always tested side by side at the same time with at least 2 tests which are always consistent.

The intrigue continues.. Applegate II or is it LIXVII?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Several things:

• Generation gap will not cause this drop in speed over Wi-Fi.
  • Close all apps on both phones before starting an Internet connection speed test
  • Ensure both phones SpeedTest app is connecting to the same server
  • One thing that can also interfere is which phone is on which band. 2.4GHz v 5GHz

Reactions: BigMcGuire

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
The iPhone 6 is three and a half generations old - I wouldn't expect it to keep up with something modern. It's also the oldest currently supported device.

Does this issue exist on wifi too? Have you tried hard resetting it?

Doesn’t the 5S still get support?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.