Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrostLK8

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2019
Have they fixed the much reported and incredibly annoying stutter in games due to ProMotion interfering with in-app settings in iOS 17 or not?

There have been hundreds of reports of it here on MacRumours and elsewhere and my own personal gaming experience has definitely been set a good 5-6 years back since iOS 16 too (while playing on a beefed up M2 iPad). I'd like to know if anyone can tell me whether Apple fixed this in OS 17 not.

Games were unplayable on OS 16, even the simplest ones behaved like they were running 45 FPS (on newest iPhones and iPad Pros) and it was entirely thanks to the same cursed ProMotion bug that has been intermittently present since a few years back. I'd have downgraded to 15.7 which is smooth but unfortunately newest devices don't allow that.

Apple briefly acknowledged this in Nov 2022 and then proceeded to do nothing about it. If anyone here games heavily and can see framerate inconsistencies, please let me know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.