Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellow bear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
Hi guys! (and gals)
Ive got myself a new internal seagate drive, i have 3 other drives on my system (two of them so small not even worth having), I seem to have managed to install the new one as a slave, I'd like this drive to be the boot disk, the master and the boss of everything, how do I do this? and without losing any settings etc from the original master/boot drive if possible!

I have a g4 with mirror door thingys and im running 10.3.9

I read somewhere that the new drive needs to have the os installed on it and finder, how do i do this? do i need the original disks or can i just copy from the original master/boot?

I'd appreciate any help, and if possible in language i can understand! (im not up with all the terms u see!)

Thankyou!

Claire x

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
yellow bear said:
Hi guys! (and gals)
Ive got myself a new internal seagate drive, i have 3 other drives on my system (two of them so small not even worth having), I seem to have managed to install the new one as a slave, I'd like this drive to be the boot disk, the master and the boss of everything, how do I do this? and without losing any settings etc from the original master/boot drive if possible!

I have a g4 with mirror door thingys and im running 10.3.9

I read somewhere that the new drive needs to have the os installed on it and finder, how do i do this? do i need the original disks or can i just copy from the original master/boot?

I'd appreciate any help, and if possible in language i can understand! (im not up with all the terms u see!)

Thankyou!

Claire x

Most drives have jumpers on the back where you can change the settings, but you will need the instructions that came with the drive to know where to place them for what settings. But for most Macs, it wont matter.

Once you format the drive using Apple's Disk Utility, then you can install an OS onto it using Install disks, or use something like CarbonCopyCloner or Superduper to "clone" everything to the new drive. Then open system preferences and select the new drive as the start-up drive, then reboot and wha lah !

enjoy :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.