Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aventador2030

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
Hey,
I will soon buy an Ipad pro 12.9 and I'm pondering whether or not I should add a matte screen protector to it.
The main issue for me with a "naked" screen is fingerprints.
The Matte screen protectors seemed like a nice solution but it comes with a price (screen quality and pencil functionality in a way), and I'm not sure if it's worth it.
If there's a different solution solely for fingerprints I would love to hear, but what do you think in general?
If you have any suggestions for products please post them as well.
*I am NOT looking for actual protection for the screen, as it's covered with the case*

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
I would recommend against it. You didn’t specify, but I’m guessing you are purchasing the new M1 iPad Pro 12.9” which comes with the nice mini LED display which is great for HDR content. Placing that protector, or any really (glass increases reflections) will affect the quality of the image significantly. I had one on mine because I tend to use my tablet primarily for sketching, and I just could not deal with the graininess of the screen protector and how it wore out Apple pencil tips so I eventually took it off.

Reactions: Aventador2030

Aventador2030

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
I would recommend against it. You didn’t specify, but I’m guessing you are purchasing the new M1 iPad Pro 12.9” which comes with the nice mini LED display which is great for HDR content. Placing that protector, or any really (glass increases reflections) will affect the quality of the image significantly. I had one on mine because I tend to use my tablet primarily for sketching, and I just could not deal with the graininess of the screen protector and how it wore out Apple pencil tips so I eventually took it off.
Thanks for the comment. What do you think about rubber nib/tip covers?

Reactions: Johnny Steps

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I have an IPP 11 and Mini 6. I discovered the Ambison matte glass screen protectors and love them. They don’t produce the sparkles that the film ones do. They don’t show fingerprints and they don’t show any marks or wear from the pencil. I don’t know if they are available for the 12.9, though.

Reactions: Aventador2030
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.