Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England
Anyone have anything similar to this within home settings/software update in the home app? It's been like this for the last couple of versions but according to the Eve app, the devices are already up-to-date (matter updates). TIA.
da2509fb82397cde9df17d3b04aa3889.jpg

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
I am seeing these Eve updates for all devices on Matter protocol. Oddly, the Door & Window sensors are only updating one at a time, I am not getting multi-updates like you have on your screenshot

Reactions: StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England
Thanks for confirming. For days it was only showing 4 devices. Then 5. I've just checked again and it is still showing 5 even though I have 6. I have a feeling this might be more of an interface bug, and that the devices are actually updated. At least, according to the Eve app they are.

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
I have this notification for weeks now whereas the sensor itself has already updated to the latest firmware! 🤷‍♂️

What I find bizarre is that I can no longer update the firmwares via the Eve app 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_6133.PNG
    IMG_6133.PNG
    197.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_EB5D6A0AAF96-1.jpeg
    IMG_EB5D6A0AAF96-1.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England
Thanks again for confirming. Exactly the same for me. I do think this is by design though that only HomeKit updates them or at least we have no manual control over updates. Personally I don't like this kind of lack of control but it is what it is unfortunately.

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
This week I got this too with horrible results. I got this new Eve Energy with Matter firmware pre-loaded. It got its updates without any notice and while the Matter firmware was already buggy, the latest versions (3.2.x) damaged my Thread network traffic.

The Eve Energy with Matter itself quickly becomes unresponsive and unreachable. It is partly responsive over bluetooth when using the Eve app when holding the iPhone near (a few feet). Any other Thread device (node or childnode) that connects gets corrupted data. I had to unplug it to make everything work again. All my other Eve Energy plugs are HomeKit-only Thread and these work without any issue unless this Eve Energy Matter is in between the path to the first border-router (HomePod's).

I found out that this going on for months and Eve doesn't have a fix yet.

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
This week I got this too with horrible results. I got this new Eve Energy with Matter firmware pre-loaded. It got its updates without any notice and while the Matter firmware was already buggy, the latest versions (3.2.x) damaged my Thread network traffic.

The Eve Energy with Matter itself quickly becomes unresponsive and unreachable. It is partly responsive over bluetooth when using the Eve app when holding the iPhone near (a few feet). Any other Thread device (node or childnode) that connects gets corrupted data. I had to unplug it to make everything work again. All my other Eve Energy plugs are HomeKit-only Thread and these work without any issue unless this Eve Energy Matter is in between the path to the first border-router (HomePod's).

The earlier OS16 days the non responsive Eve was painful but later versions resolved the Matter issues and the Matter network has been pretty solid.

In my experience you’re sometimes best to ignore the non responsive messages for the Eve products for a while and give them time to “sort” themselves out.

I found out that this going on for months and Eve doesn't have a fix yet.
Have you reached out to Eve support, they are very good at replying to your message?

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
@Bl0ckHe1d Oh I have a lengthy email conversation. Considering that their support system constantly assigns new ticket numbers to the same email thread, it must be chaos in their office.
I've sent them pretty time detailed descriptions what was happening, but do they read it? One time they asked for a software version even though they could read all that info in the previous email. But most of all all they come up with responses like rebooting the hubs, which I already did if they had read my previous emails fully.

Anyway... I purchased my Eve Energy Matter some time in June/July. But I put it use weeks later.
I don't know when exactly but I installed it sometime in August when iOS16 was still in use. The installation process went as usual with Eve stuff, quick and smooth. Of course I heard the "horror" stories from months earlier, but I had no issues. The switch responded quick as every other one. After I put in a couple of HomeKit rules in that same week, I was happy and continued with my own crap.

After a couple of weeks I noticed that some of the other HomeKit rules didn't fire anymore. Rules that made use of an Eve Weather Sensor did not work anymore. When I looked at it, I saw a differences in measured temperature shown in HomeKit and on the device itself. Even the history in the Eve app was more than a week old - very strange.
After days of tracking to problem, rebooting, reseating batteries, emailing to Eve it became apparent that the Eve Weather had trouble connecting with the Thread network. It took weeks to find out that it had to do with the Eve Energy (Matter). Every time I did a reboot of the nearest borderouter (there are 8 HomePod mini's in the house) the Eve Weather did reconnect to a different node; sometimes a different HomePod mini and sometimes a different Eve Energy (older model) much further away. Every time when that was the case, things worked again. But as the Thread network tries to optimise, the Eve Weather would reconnect to the "bad" Eve Energy (matter) again within the hour and rules started to break again.

Then iOS17 came out and possibly a new Eve firmware (3.2.1), I'm not sure which was first. And that made things worse. The Eve Energy (matter) became unresponsive immediately. It only "woke up" for a minute when I looked at it via the Eve app on an iPhone with bluetooth enabled. When bluetooth was disabled the Eve Energy (matter) eventually disappeared from the Thread network listing. And that was kind of permanent. After hours no change.
I even got a replacement from my store last week, same things happend again with that new Eve Energy.

For reference I installed a Eve Energy (HomeKit only model) on the same spot, and that device works fine. All connecting devices like the Eve Weather had no issues anymore. So to me it became clear that Matter has serious issues: iOS17 does something wring and the Eve firmware fails to keep the Thread network up.
So I will not use the Matter device for now. I'd even asked Eve to implement a "upgrade" button to get HomeKit firmware again on Eve Energy devices (or other devices). Especially for those people that have gone through the same s**t after upgrading to Matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.