Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xteec

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Australia
I thought I'd share this experience.

I have successfully created many OS X USB drive installers in the past (since Apple stopped selling OS X on DVDs and I like to have an installer on hand). I also like to keep an up to date copy of the installer as OS updates are released.

Strangely today, updating my USB thumb drive from 10.9 to 10.9.1, I am following the usual procedure and the "Install OS X Mavericks.app" file can simply NOT be found.

After an hour of re-downloading from the App Store (4 times) and searching, I eventually found it here:

/Volumes/Untitled 1/Install OS X Mavericks.app/Contents/MacOS/Install OS X Mavericks

And the only way I was able to do so was by inspecting the auto launched Mavericks Installer app process in Activity Monitor. I would see the partial download in the Applications folder, then as soon as it was done, it would disappear.

Screen Shot 2014-01-04 at 4.34.42 am.png

Anyways, I hope this helps anyone if they have similar issues. I admit I am running an odd setup - boot is from 2 thunderbolt RAID 0 SSDs - so it might be related.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.