Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

highpass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
If, after upgrading to 10.9, an app crashes due to a graphics related extension problem, is it possible to copy over the relevant extension from 10.8 and then tell said app to use it - without overwriting the 10.9 versions?

Hopefully this layman explanation makes sense to somebody. Below is an example of the issue.

Code:
VM Regions Near 0x79d058ae:
    __LINKEDIT             00000000495bb000-000000004961a000 [  380K] r--/rwx SM=COW  [B]/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceGLDriver[/B]
--> 
    __TEXT                 000000008feb1000-000000008fee4000 [  204K] r-x/rwx SM=COW  /usr/lib/dyld

Dyld Error Message:
  Symbol not found: _OTInitInetAddress
  Referenced from: /Applications/[app name].app/Contents/MacOS/[app name]
  Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices

The application in question hasn't been updated since 2010 and is no longer supported by the developers. It worked fine all the way up until 10.9.

----------

Could a mod please rename this topic "10.8 extensions in 10.9" please

Last edited:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
If, after upgrading to 10.9, an app crashes due to a graphics related extension problem, is it possible to copy over the relevant extension from 10.8 and then tell said app to use it - without overwriting the 10.9 versions?
This is not possible. My suggestion is if the application is no longer being supported that you stay on 10.8 until you can find a replacement application.

highpass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Ok.

Is the problem due to the system extensions or something else such as the nvidia driver - if the latter is there a chance an update may fix the issue?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Ok.

Is the problem due to the system extensions or something else such as the nvidia driver - if the latter is there a chance an update may fix the issue?
Looking at what little you posted and you apparently edited out the application name, anyway with what you posted from the error, the application will need updates to work in 10.9.

Edit: If there any reason why you masked the application name (Vectorworks 2009)?

Last edited:

highpass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Is there something else I could attach that could help you further diagnose the issue?

The application won't be updated as the devs only focus on their current/last release (which is understandable). Might there be a way of using the relevant resources of the latest version in the 2009 version?

Yes the obvious solution is to buy 2014 but after testing for a few days I can't justify the price tag; 2014 is slow in comparison to 2009 on 10.8*, plus the third party scripts I rely on won't be updated for 2014.

I masked the app name simply because I felt the issue ought be looked at generically, but in hindsight see that was... unhelpful.

Thanks for the help so far.

*so slow in fact that my temporary solution is running 2009 in Parallels with a 10.8 install - even that is faster than 2014 native!

sowayan

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
Is there something else I could attach that could help you further diagnose the issue?

The application won't be updated as the devs only focus on their current/last release (which is understandable). Might there be a way of using the relevant resources of the latest version in the 2009 version?

Yes the obvious solution is to buy 2014 but after testing for a few days I can't justify the price tag; 2014 is slow in comparison to 2009 on 10.8*, plus the third party scripts I rely on won't be updated for 2014.

I masked the app name simply because I felt the issue ought be looked at generically, but in hindsight see that was... unhelpful.

Thanks for the help so far.

*so slow in fact that my temporary solution is running 2009 in Parallels with a 10.8 install - even that is faster than 2014 native!

Hi HighPass

Could you contact me privately at sowayan@gmail.com? I am interested in knowing more about the slowness you encountered in VW 2014.

jimwild100

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2013
I didn't want to accept that I have to reinstall 10.8 right away. I'm on Vectorworks 2008 and suspect we will not be upgrading for some time.....
[EDIT: also the hasp dongle now works on 10.9 it didn't on 10.8 and I had to be instal the runtime every time I debuted]

As a full explanation of the ins and outs wasn't given [sorry Bear, I appreciate you will know far more than me] I thought I'd dig some more.
This is similar, but not the same object.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5545981?tstart=0

So re error:
Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices

So I searched my system for that file, though this is a binary and not readable.

Since my back up was pre 10.5.8 (I wiped, then installed 10.7 and then 10.8 and latterly mindlessly accepted 10.9 upgrade) I routed around on this and see the framework is v.different.
So I find mention of the symbol OTInitTAddress in one file /CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/OSServices.framework/Versions/A/Headers/OpenTransportProviders.h
This file doesn't exist in the 10.9 system.

Is there not a way of adding the code for the relevant symbol in to one of the the 10.9 framework Headers/ files? I ask with a blind idea that these things are that simple and without any clue of how these frameworks cores services things work.

Many thanks,
Jim.

Attachments

• failure report.txt
    48.1 KB · Views: 515

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2002
London
In simple terms - was there a fix to this?

I want to get my Vectorworks 2008 working with Mavericks.

cheers

:)

pascchitella

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2016
In simple terms - was there a fix to this?

I want to get my Vectorworks 2008 working with Mavericks.

cheers

:)

Did you ever get this resolved? I have VW 2012 that stopped working with 10.10. I contacted VW and they said to upgrade, for a measly $3100. I don't use VW very often, it isn't worth the money. I am switching to Autocad but have a bunch of legacy drawings I need to convert. I don't get it, I can get the Adobe Suite for $54 a month, why wouldn't VectorWorks do the sam kind of thing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.