Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Hi all, I'm having serious issues with Mavericks. Ever since I installed, I have not been able to use my MBP unless in Safe Boot mode. If I try to use it normally, it just freezes within seconds and requires a hard shut down. I can't create a new user and then restore from a Time Machine backup, because that does nothing but duplicates the problem. Any ideas on how I could fix this?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
One of the key things safe mode does is stop any login startup items from running. The fact yours runs in safe mode and not in regular could mean you have a startup item causing a conflict. Try starting in safe mode then go to your account in Users & Groups and remove everything from the Login Items and see if that helps.

If that fixes it you can start adding things back a bit at a time to find the culprit.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
One of the key things safe mode does is stop any login startup items from running. The fact yours runs in safe mode and not in regular could mean you have a startup item causing a conflict. Try starting in safe mode then go to your account in Users & Groups and remove everything from the Login Items and see if that helps.

If that fixes it you can start adding things back a bit at a time to find the culprit.

I have tried that and what I noticed is that there are particular apps that crash it upon startup. I turned those off so now they don't automatically launch. However, if I try to launch them eventually, they still freeze up the MBP. These apps are Google Chrome and Spotify.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have tried that and what I noticed is that there are particular apps that crash it upon startup. I turned those off so now they don't automatically launch. However, if I try to launch them eventually, they still freeze up the MBP. These apps are Google Chrome and Spotify.

Okay... so without Chrome and Spotify launching at login you can do a regular (non-safe mode) login? Sounds like those apps are the problem.

I don't use Spotify, but in their forums I see this that may help.

I am using Chrome with no problem in Mavs though. Looks like I am on Chrome version 30.0.1599.101. Maybe just try dumping the Chrome app in the trash and reinstall it from Google.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Okay... so without Chrome and Spotify launching at login you can do a regular (non-safe mode) login? Sounds like those apps are the problem.

I don't use Spotify, but in their forums I see this that may help.

I am using Chrome with no problem in Mavs though. Looks like I am on Chrome version 30.0.1599.101. Maybe just try dumping the Chrome app in the trash and reinstall it from Google.

Thanks, I did a reinstall of Chrome and that seemed to do the trick. Still too scared to open Spotify just yet but I'll give that a try. Thank you!

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Just wanted to post a quick update for anyone who may look at this in the future: it ended up being a totally different problem entirely. If you have Sophos AntiVirus installed, get rid of it as soon as possible and your problems should not persist. Go into Safe Boot mode and uninstall it properly. Turned out that Sophos was at the root of all my problems. Everything working great now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.