Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matis.L

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2014
Albania
I installed OS X Mavericks from the App Store, but after it installed, it kept booting for about 20 minutes. When it finally booted the mouse cursor kept spinning for about 2 hours and then I rebooted and it did the same thing. I went back to OS X 10.6.8, in which I am now, and it runs fine. Should I update to Mavericks again or should I stay in Snow Leopard?
Thank you in advance!
PS: Sorry for any grammar mistakes, I am from Albania!

Last edited:

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
My memory is 2 GB, but I don't know how to find my hardware

Click the Apple logo in the top left, about this mac and then more info. Browse the tabs in this pane to find your hardware.

Having only 2 Gb's RAM, you may be exceeding the amount you need. Open activity monitor, click the memory tab and see if your memory pressure ever changes from green. Then you should consider upgrading your RAM. If you wish to, it would be useful to provide your model of mac - e.g. MacBook Pro 9,2.

Also, check the storage tab of more info and see if you are maxing out your HDD (in terms of capacity). If it is too full, consider removing unnecessary files or upgrading your hdd.

One last thing, you may want to consider an SSD if you are looking for more performance and less decibels.

Hope this helps :)

matis.L

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2014
Albania
Click the Apple logo in the top left, about this mac and then more info. Browse the tabs in this pane to find your hardware.

Having only 2 Gb's RAM, you may be exceeding the amount you need. Open activity monitor, click the memory tab and see if your memory pressure ever changes from green. Then you should consider upgrading your RAM. If you wish to, it would be useful to provide your model of mac - e.g. MacBook Pro 9,2.

Also, check the storage tab of more info and see if you are maxing out your HDD (in terms of capacity). If it is too full, consider removing unnecessary files or upgrading your hdd.

One last thing, you may want to consider an SSD if you are looking for more performance and less decibels.

Hope this helps :)
Here is what I found in system profiler:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB52.0088.B05

And I have 91.02 GB available on my hard drive.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
My late 2009 Mini ran really terribly under Lion 10.7 with 2GB RAM when disk was fairly full. Though I see in your case you have disk space.

FYI I upgraded RAM to 8GB and HDD my machine now runs Mavericks very well. I suspect you really need to upgrade RAM. It could be your disk isn't totally healthy and the OS upgrade has "stressed it". You might try a disk repair also (in disk utilities)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I installed OS X Mavericks from the App Store, but after it installed, it kept booting for about 20 minutes. When it finally booted the mouse cursor kept spinning for about 2 hours and then I rebooted and it did the same thing. I went back to OS X 10.6.8, in which I am now, and it runs fine. Should I update to Mavericks again or should I stay in Snow Leopard?
Thank you in advance!
PS: Sorry for any grammar mistakes, I am from Albania!

My memory is 2 GB, but I don't know how to find my hardware

Any machine with 2GB of memory is going to be a bit slow on Mavs, but nothing like the problem you are describing. This sounds more like you have something installed that is incompatible with Mavericks. A fresh install will of course fix that, or you could try and remove anything incompatible then reinstall Mavericks.

This utility is good to see what third party utilities you may have still running.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
You need more memory. I installed Mavericks with 4gig memory and it ran like a dog. I had to upgrade to 8Gig.

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
As Weaselboy suggested, having only 2 Gb's of RAM should not cause the problems that you are describing. And, you still have plenty of drive space left. You could try another upgrade if you wanted (or have heaps of data) or you could try a fresh install (probably recommended).

Definitely do not stay on Snow Leopard though (even if you can't upgrade to Mavericks), as support has ended meaning*you are more vulnerable to malware (although it is not as bad as still being on XP).

matis.L

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2014
Albania
Problem Solved!

I upgraded to OS X Mavericks again last night and now it is running fine.
But thank you for the answers anyway!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.