Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evil_night

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Hi guys,

I'm facing a major dilemma here and wondering if any of you would throw your two cents in for me to make the final decision here! I'm a film/video editor that mainly works on TVC and Music Promos, recently decided to upgrade my system so purchased a top of the line intel Mac Mini plus an eGPU enclosure with a Radeon Pro W5700 card. However, after doing some research I'm now torn because it seems like its way cheaper to build a modified iMac 5k set up with self-installed ram, I've already spent roughly a grand (in pounds) on my eGPU so thinking about integrating that in the iMac 5k set up as well. So I'm wondering, should I keep my Mac Mini + eGPU + LG 5k Monitor set up or should I return my Mac Mini and get an iMac 5k with some rams installed separately instead?

Here are the detailed specs:

Mac Mini Set up (£4565)

Hardware:​

• 3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz)
  • 64GB 2666MHz DDR4
  • 1TB SSD storage
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • 10 Gigabit Ethernet (Nbase-T Ethernet with support for 1Gb, 2.5Gb, 5Gb and 10Gb Ethernet using RJ‑45 connector)
£2443

eGPU ( Radeon Pro W5700)
£1061

LG 5K monitor
£1,061

vs

iMac 5k: 3.6GHz 10-core 10th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
8GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
1TB SSD storage
Radeon Pro 5300 with 4GB of GDDR6 memory
£2,678.40

eGPU ( Radeon Pro W5700)
£1061

128 Gb Ram Bought Separately
£412

Grand Total: £4151

What do you guys think? Which one would be the most optimised option for me? I edit a lot of REDCODE, BlackMagic Raw stuff and do a bit of colour grading on the side so really need a powerful set up! And the eGPU has already been bought so have to integrate it in my system somehow...

Let me know what you think!

Evil_night

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
I mostly work with Premiere Pro, Da Vinci Resolve and After Effects in case that I wasn't clear...

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Honestly, the money would have been better spent on an iMac with 5700xt internal. If you can, maybe sell the egpu and put the funds towards a maxxed-out iMac? For the work you’re describing, the iMac is a more solid choice. Keep in mind the Apple silicon iMacs shouldn’t be too far away at this point.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hi guys,

I'm facing a major dilemma here and wondering if any of you would throw your two cents in for me to make the final decision here! I'm a film/video editor that mainly works on TVC and Music Promos, recently decided to upgrade my system so purchased a top of the line intel Mac Mini plus an eGPU enclosure with a Radeon Pro W5700 card. However, after doing some research I'm now torn because it seems like its way cheaper to build a modified iMac 5k set up with self-installed ram, I've already spent roughly a grand (in pounds) on my eGPU so thinking about integrating that in the iMac 5k set up as well. So I'm wondering, should I keep my Mac Mini + eGPU + LG 5k Monitor set up or should I return my Mac Mini and get an iMac 5k with some rams installed separately instead?

Here are the detailed specs:

Mac Mini Set up (£4565)

Hardware:​

• 3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz)
  • 64GB 2666MHz DDR4
  • 1TB SSD storage
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • 10 Gigabit Ethernet (Nbase-T Ethernet with support for 1Gb, 2.5Gb, 5Gb and 10Gb Ethernet using RJ‑45 connector)
£2443

eGPU ( Radeon Pro W5700)
£1061

LG 5K monitor
£1,061

vs

iMac 5k: 3.6GHz 10-core 10th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
8GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
1TB SSD storage
Radeon Pro 5300 with 4GB of GDDR6 memory
£2,678.40

eGPU ( Radeon Pro W5700)
£1061

128 Gb Ram Bought Separately
£412

Grand Total: £4151

What do you guys think? Which one would be the most optimised option for me? I edit a lot of REDCODE, BlackMagic Raw stuff and do a bit of colour grading on the side so really need a powerful set up! And the eGPU has already been bought so have to integrate it in my system somehow...

Let me know what you think!
For serious colour work those iMac screens are horrible. Far to shinny. I'd prefer the Mac Mini then you are free to pick up a much better screen. No point having all the speed in the world then trying to do colour grading on an iMac.

Reactions: yurc and LeeW

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
If you’re that concerned about reflections, there’s always the matte screen option for the iMac.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
I'd much rather search for a good deal on an iMac Pro (< RRP obviously) than get an i9 iMac. If you look at the respective teardowns, one is designed with proper cooling capacity (+ low noise), and the other isn't.

Last edited:

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Yeah, I think the iMac Pro is another good option, though the GPU options are getting kind of stale. As per the display, you can calibrate an iMac display. I’m not sure what exact display the OP is using, if it’s significantly better than the iMac display, that would give reason for pause, it’s just that a mini with an eGPU won’t be as stable, fast, or reliable as a machine with an internal GPU. That means iMac, iMac Pro or Mac Pro, and a Mac Pro sounds like it’s out of the budget.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.