Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
I have a Maxtor II eternal hard drive I use for saving files on my mac. I store all my ipod ready movies and stuff on there. My brother who uses winxp wanted my movies so I took my drive over, and it will not work any ideas why? It sees the drive but wont open or do anything. I dont remember formating the drive for mac any ideas?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Because Windows cannot read/see HFS+. If your brother wants to see it, he needs to puchase MacDrive, or you need to erase the HD and reformat it as FAT32 so you can both read/write to it. However, FAT32 has a 4GB single file limit.

hanshanzi

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2006
maxtor, mac, winxp

I have the opposite problem described in the earlier email. I have a new Maxtor III that is NT-formatted and it seems to work with my pc laptops so far (Dell and Sony). But when I connect it to my iMac, its icon appears but I cannot add any files to it. I am told it is "read only." Is there some way to reset the drive so it can be read on both the Mac and the PC as a fully usable external drive?

hanshanzi

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
MacDrive should work as the previous poster said. I use it for my PCs. My portable HDs are formatted for MacIntosh. When I need to copy over MS Office files to my PC, I just plug in the HD to my PC and MacDrive does it magic and I can just drag and copy. Or, rather, I use Sync Toy from MS so that my PC updates the files I updated with my Mac.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I have the opposite problem described in the earlier email. I have a new Maxtor III that is NT-formatted and it seems to work with my pc laptops so far (Dell and Sony). But when I connect it to my iMac, its icon appears but I cannot add any files to it. I am told it is "read only." Is there some way to reset the drive so it can be read on both the Mac and the PC as a fully usable external drive?

OS X xan only read NTFS volumes.

The drive must be reformatted as FAT32 for both Windows and OS X to read/write to it, but it has inherant limitations then, such as a 4GB single file limit.

OR

The drive can be formatted as HFS+ and you puchase MacDrive for your Windows boxes to read/write to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.