Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
For the MBA, the Dell Adamo is now a direct competitor. Do you think Apple is possibly keeping the same technology, and just working to make it thinner? or do you think they will keep the same height/weight, and upgrade the parts?

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
They are going to upgrade the inside before the outside.

I don't think that users are stupid enough to buy a computer based on the minute difference in thickness. There are only so many users that exclusively care about having the thinnest.

tsubikiddo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
For the MBA, the Dell Adamo is now a direct competitor. Do you think Apple is possibly keeping the same technology, and just working to make it thinner? or do you think they will keep the same height/weight, and upgrade the parts?

I think it ultimately depends on whether the ION2 chip will come out soon enough
Honestly, I highly doubt if Apple will put an i7 1.6GHz chip in the MBA due to heat & battery consumption concern,
that leaves us with the 9400m successor on the pending list
and unless nVidia is ready to release this chip,
any hardware refresh is virtually neglectable as it will only push things a second from here, a second from there

I'm sticking with my rev.B 1.6 HDD until the real rev.C comes out,
in the meantime, if it's only some minor speed bump or things like that,
I'm stuffing a SSD into my rev.B and I'll be an even happier man:cool:

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I think the next MacBook is going to be nearly similar in size and weight to the current MBA. Within a few mm and a half pound heavier than MBA.

I hope the MBA stays the same form factor but gets an upgraded GPU. I am happy with the same Penryn SL9600 2.13 GHz CPU. I am really happy with the form factor and weight.

I do NOT want to go thinner and more lightweight if it means going to CULV or ION or less battery time. I prefer a more powerful MacBook Air not a lighter and thinner MBA.

I fear we will get an MBA that isn't capable of being a primary Mac... it would be terrible for us fans of the MBA.

Shodan

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2009
I fear we will get an MBA that isn't capable of being a primary Mac... it would be terrible for us fans of the MBA.

That would defeat it's original purpose of still being a fully fledged Laptop.

Apple will not do that.

tsubikiddo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
I think the next MacBook is going to be nearly similar in size and weight to the current MBA. Within a few mm and a half pound heavier than MBA.

I hope the MBA stays the same form factor but gets an upgraded GPU. I am happy with the same Penryn SL9600 2.13 GHz CPU. I am really happy with the form factor and weight.

I do NOT want to go thinner and more lightweight if it means going to CULV or ION or less battery time. I prefer a more powerful MacBook Air not a lighter and thinner MBA.

With all due respect, that imo, Apple has properly responded to the market with their MacBook (& Pro) and hopefully they have been doing a decent job at getting the message across
IMO, as a <1yr MBA user who has been really fortunate to have started from the rev.B,whenever there's an outcry for performance enhancements, it's likely that someone is not in the MBA niche
Financially affordable is one thing, whether the product really suit that buyer/user is another.

The MBA has been created to address the demand for an ultra-portable.
Apple's response has been particularly a good one as they managed to retain the computing power of a laptop to the maximum degree (and in some case, such as when equipped with a SSD, it even defeats the other offerings from Apple. As a member of this forum once expressed, 'it's an ultra-lightweight MBP!').

MBA users at this stage should be pushing and asking for a further increase of connectivity on top of what the current package can already offer.
LightPeak should be something that we will see on the MBA,
but I guess it won't arrive anytime soon, and didn't put it on the list of anticipated, imminent updates.
MBA should go thinner and lighter. I found the current weight is still just a bit too heavy for my preferred weight to carry, even those who were interested in buying an MBA were telling me it's still 'just a tad bit too heavy at the moment'. However, as learned from Apple's track record with their design lifetime, a redesign, at least from the evidence drawn from historical perspective, is very very unlikely. Not impossible, but just a very far-fetched idea.

Battery endurance should also be on the pending list first, the MBA must do a much much better job when the MBPs are claiming 8hrs battery time and even a MacBook's battery can outlast the Air. That is a pain in the *

rotorblade69

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2006
North West Georgia

I agree with you about the Macbook going airish or airized. But will it the Optical drive go bye bye? I think it will lose the optical drive.

If they change the Air the form factor will change a little maybe. Trim it up a bit less bezel less gentle curve on the bottom, sharper curve and corners but still smooth and melted looking.

I agree about the the weight situation losing weight in the air means something else gets cut or gets reduced. Its an ultra portable. If they go carbon fiber to build the air, then it could lose some weight, and get them a new form factor with a cool black color. If losing weight means less Processor then forget it.

But something tells me the rumors about the carbon fiber will be used in the case of the Macbook, instead of them using the plastic in the case.

If they keep the processors the same just a bump in the ghz then ok but the price had better come down a little more, Especially if the case design stays the same.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
I agree about the the weight situation losing weight in the air means something else gets cut or gets reduced. Its an ultra portable. If they go carbon fiber to build the air, then it could lose some weight, and get them a new form factor with a cool black color.

Damn that would be incredible. And Carbon fibre is so durable too, it's used on so many cars due to it's durability, and they even have carbon fibre crash helmets which are incredibly strong. It may not be as good for heat transferring that aluminium though, and Carbon fibre is RIDICULOUSLY expensive. If apple did a MBA-A (Macbook Air Aluminium) and MBA-C (Macbook Air CarbonFibre) at different price points, would seriously be pretty damn cool.

And it would be the first ever Carbon fibre computer if I'm not mistaken?

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I agree with you about the Macbook going airish or airized. But will it the Optical drive go bye bye? I think it will lose the optical drive.

It IS possible that the MBA, much like the 17" MBP, was a testing ground for an optical-driveless Mac. If they feel they've perfected it, I could see them removing them from first this redesigned MacBook, followed by the MBP line... which may explain the continued lack of Blu-ray.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
It IS possible that the MBA, much like the 17" MBP, was a testing ground for an optical-driveless Mac. If they feel they've perfected it, I could see them removing them from first this redesigned MacBook, followed by the MBP line... which may explain the continued lack of Blu-ray.

MBA first without optical drive, first unibody, first non-removable battery, first non-BTO SSD.

tflournoy95

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
why?????? would they get rid on optical drives? that would just make us have to waste another hundred dollars to buy one. its not like it would be more portable. sure the computer is thinner, but then you waste space carrying around a superdrive with it. i would rather have those few extra millimeters and kepp the optical drive.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
why?????? would they get rid on optical drives? that would just make us have to waste another hundred dollars to buy one. its not like it would be more portable. sure the computer is thinner, but then you waste space carrying around a superdrive with it. i would rather have those few extra millimeters and kepp the optical drive.
I would rather ditch the optical drive, which I use rarely, and replace it with a second hard drive and a bigger battery.

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
I would rather ditch the optical drive, which I use rarely, and replace it with a second hard drive and a bigger battery.

This is exactly what I imagine them doing with the plastic macbook. Slimmer case. No spec bump in terms of processor, memory, storage, etc. No optical drive, no firewire, no card slot. Huge built-in battery, dual USB, mini-display port, magsafe.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.

I don't think ditching the superdrive will make it much thinner unless they use 1.8" drives. Most drives are 9.5mm and just fit.

I got rid of my optical on my MBP and don't miss it one bit nor carry around the ext. Remote Disk is a beautiful thing when you need one.

rotorblade69

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2006
North West Georgia
Removal of a optical disk will not make it thinner by itself but, it makes more room spread the guts out. You can really get creative with the internals if you get rid of the optical just look at the air. I wish I still had that picture of the 12" Power book with the optical disk removed. You can really tell how much space these things take up.

I have heard some say that if apple took out the optical drive and shaved just a little more tech OUT of the macbook they could have an "Apple Netbook". Not a PC netbook but an "Apple tax netbook". No CDDVD firewire 12" display and no ethernet port, only 1 usb could get the price and cost down considerably. BUT you will piss a lot of people off.

Carbon fiber in the case will be a great thing in a macbook. It will distinguish the product, make the customer think they are getting more tech, will save weight and generally be more sturdy and shear twist resistant. Also it will NOT be made out of plastic, that to some people is a big thing. But carbon fiber is also in some respects brittle. It goes to the design limits maybe a little over and then Pop it gives. Very little flex, and can be heated enough to the point it burns and fails. Has to be laid up, its expensive to do although there is injection molding. Carbon fibers chopped up and put into a resin mix and then injected into a compression mold. Once filled the mold is capped sealed and then compressed as the plastic sets. Very strong and even more durable. Been used in the firearms industry for about 10+ years now.

Now you really want something to bake your noodle. The core processor memory and graphics are essentially the same thing. Both have 2.13 and 9400m. But the differing features are case (obvious) memory display storage and optical drive imputs.
Now think about this. What makes the air are the differences. and what makes the mb are the differences. 2 totally different jobs. One is an ultra portable on the cutting edge of what you can stuff into a thin light case and the thing be powerful, no frills and useable; the other is a notebook not an economy model but something with a LOT in it just not the upper high end LOT.

Try this:
2.13 9400m loose the optical, carbon fiber case, 12" so so display (better than mb but not as good as air), 2 usb, user replaceable memory of the air (even if they have to take the screws out like on an air), non removable battery and the standard wifi,bluetooth,eyesight, and throw in the SD reader for Sh**s and Giggles!
This is your next gen Macbook. but if you do this what about the air well maybe the air will be axed or go on to purse even bigger fish.

I have said that the air is a big science experiment for apple. What we know today as the modern macbook pro started as a macbook air 2 years ago. The entire product line will be airish before long that includes the "Macbook". If they do the above I will buy my wife one. Now that leaves another big technology, OLED, when it comes if the air is around it will match up good to the overall idea of the air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.