Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joemarioz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I was wondering about the MBA going thru specs when I saw in the box :

No apple remote!! of course it says front row preinstalled but no apple remote.
this is the site of the MacBook air look for in the box and you will see:
http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

Now compare them with the macbook's specs:
http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

Im not going to spend 1800$ on a macbook air and suddenly I want to watch a movie on my computer and there is no apple remote.
and im not willing to spend even more on a macbook air!

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
You don't have to use the Apple remote to use Front Row, just press Command+Esc.
Also while it's chicken shi... of Apple to not include a cheap little remote you don't necessarily need it for a notebook computer unless you are doing Keynote or Powerpoint presentations.

If it's that important just pay the $19 and be done with it.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
i would have thought macbook air is just the thing for keynote presentations. wouldn't a remote come in handy?

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
i would have thought macbook air is just the thing for keynote presentations. wouldn't a remote come in handy?

I still have two in the plastic wrappers that I haven't used.

The remote is IR which limits it's usefulness in my case as a presentation remote. Plus I like to keep the computer in front of me with keynote so I can see the next slide early and the notes. Makes my transitions smoother.

In large rooms where I need a remote, I use a small bluetooth mouse. That way I'm not having to point to the laptop on every slide.

joemarioz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
You don't have to use the Apple remote to use Front Row, just press Command+Esc.
Also while it's chicken shi... of Apple to not include a cheap little remote you don't necessarily need it for a notebook computer unless you are doing Keynote or Powerpoint presentations.

If it's that important just pay the $19 and be done with it.

Shure but...if I'm all lazy in bed and I want to watch a movie do i have to stand up? No! Dude i dont live in the us where there is an apple store around the corner. So i cant just go and give them 19 bx. And get over with it! I must order it and wait for the damn 40-50 days of delivery!

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
Shure but...if I'm all lazy in bed and I want to watch a movie do i have to stand up? No! Dude i dont live in the us where there is an apple store around the corner. So i cant just go and give them 19 bx. And get over with it! I must order it and wait for the damn 40-50 days of delivery!

40-50 days! Wow.

Then I would suggest you either add the remote to your MBA order, or if it's more convenient for you, order an MBP which includes the remote.

Just keep in mind that if you order an MB and want to connect it to your TV via DVI or HDMI, you'll have to get the mini-DVI to DVI adapter.

Ironically, I believe that actually comes with the MBA and not the MB.

So either way, if you have to wait 40-50 days, it pays to order everything you need at once.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005

Order it with the MBA. !!!!!

phoxrenvatio

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
big deal, remote doesn't come with it, how terrible is it to use the arrow keys or one of the remotes you got with an older mac/iPod dock...

sWaltuo

macrumors regular
May 25, 2007
I think pretty much everyone has come to the conclusion that this isn't a device to be used as a main computer? Am I correct?

Therefore I will assume that you use another computer as your main computer. Now If you other computer is a Mac (which I'm sure Apple assumes it to be), then you really don't need but the apple remote that came with you other Mac. I have an iMac, Mac Mini, and a Macbook Pro. I use one remote to control them all. No need to have 3 little white remotes hanging around?

aiongiant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
i tink it's kinda cheap for apple not to include it
but then again it doesn't really matter the one with my mbp is still in the wrapper lol

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
As the MBA is clearly intended as a second computer, Apple probably figures you can use the one you got with your other Mac ;)

For those who don't have another computer, they can buy optional extras like external SuperDrives, IR remotes, etc... without Apple having to elevate the price any more than it is for the bulk of customers who just don't need them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.