Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Hi guys,
there is a lot of talk about how the 64GB SSD is faster than the 1.8" PATA drive (probably not a big feat) but does anyone know the read and write speeds of the drive?

mcwacko1213

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
actually wondering the same thing...

bump for an answer.

i am wondering how close the Macbook air w/ the SSD is to an instant-on machine, like turning on a television. whats the start up time of the 80GB drive and the SSD? :confused:

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
As soon as it starts shipping, XBench should give pretty definitive answers. I don't think anyone has tested it yet, though.

From Barefeats.com
"December 27th, 2007 -- Solid State Disks are fast but pricey. In recent testing, they booted the OS and apps 4 times faster than a 10K Raptor."

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
No answers on this yet. None are available on the floor at Macworld, and the staff have not been given any stats on things like this. Boot time is the one I'm most interested in.

Gunga Din

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Old Trafford

atthecross

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
No answers on this yet. None are available on the floor at Macworld, and the staff have not been given any stats on things like this. Boot time is the one I'm most interested in.
This is what the Dell rep told me about their sdd.

They read fast write slow, the reason is because a sdd has a finite amount of times you can write to a spot and then you can't write to it any longer.

so when you write data, it not only looks at the entire disk to find an open space, but then it sees how many times a 'sector' has been written to, after that process is when it actually writes the data.

I know it was a dell rep, but he was talking sdd tech, not computer technology

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.