Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makuku

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2024
Hey there,

I am new to this forum and since i couldn't find any help with the search function I am starting a new post here.

My system is an early 2011 Mac Book Pro with 2,7GHz and 8GB of RAM.
Additionally i removed the disk reader years ago and changed it to an SSD as (boot disk and for programs) + I have a 2TB HDD for my data.

Up to this day I am still really satisfied with this setup for my needs and would be happy to use it for couple of more years only problem is my battery.

In the past 2 years I've replaced my battery 3 times to a new one and always the same problem occured that my Mac Book is suddenly shutting down / going to sleep without low battery warnings between 20-30%. When I connect it to power it is booting again, all programs are open like before and battery is at 0%.

At least with the two newest batteries I have been running the calibration routine in the beginning and they both did seem to work for the first couple of cycles but than the sudden shutdowns started to happen again. I have tried calibrating again and again than but it didn't help solve the problem.

This is the calibration process I have been doing: https://help.ifixit.com/article/265-battery-calibration

Additionally I have been repairing my Disk Permissions, resetting PRAM and the SMC like mentioned here:

None of it helped unfortunately and Coconut Battery status is: good.

Since the last two batteries were also from a trusted seller and no cheap ones from Amazon or so I am beginning to think that the problem is not battery related and instead has to do with other hardware in my Mac Book.

I would really be happy if you guys could help me with this issue.

Thanks in advance!

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
Have you tried resetting the NVRAM/SMC yet? That may or may not help, and it doesn't hurt to try.

Also, did the shutdown/sleep issues happen with the original battery from Apple or just the third-party replacements?

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
no, issue is almost certainly battery related. No such thing as "trusted seller" of batteries, anything non-oem is almost certainly using B or C quality cells unless they have explicit info on supply chain. There was maybe that one guy in germany using proper good quality cells. Could also be issue with the BMS on the battery.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
no, issue is almost certainly battery related. No such thing as "trusted seller" of batteries, anything non-oem is almost certainly using B or C quality cells unless they have explicit info on supply chain. There was maybe that one guy in germany using proper good quality cells. Could also be issue with the BMS on the battery.

Also by this point, I'd find it hard to believe there's any truly genuine OEM stock or at least OEM stock that isn't degraded.

I've had similar issues with a 2012 MBP that I had. After it burned through two replacement batteries in less than 3 years, I gave up instead of trying to find another battery. I just took the battery out and all the erratic behavior stopped. Of course, be really careful not to lose power while you're using it.

makuku

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2024
Have you tried resetting the NVRAM/SMC yet? That may or may not help, and it doesn't hurt to try.

Also, did the shutdown/sleep issues happen with the original battery from Apple or just the third-party replacements?
I did NVRAM/SMC reset a couple of times and it didn't change anything.

With the original battery i didn't have this issue and I had another Non-OEM battery afterwards which also worked fine and with the next one this shutdowns started.

makuku

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2024
I am actually located in Germany and bought from that exact seller I think since I was searching for good quality ones and this seller was mentioned in a german forum and also has info about his supply chain on the website.
I was contacting him after my battery started this behaviour and he directly send me a new one but it didn't change anything. Since it is the second battery now and nothing changed I started to believe the reason for the behaviour might come from anywhere else.
Also I have talked with two technicians on the phone and they were saying that a mistake on the Logic Board can also be the source of a battery problem like this. Have you heard of this before?

makuku

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2024
two days ago i have changed the energy saver settings in the preferences to never set the monitor/computer to sleep when running from battery and also unticked the boxes for sleep mode of harddrives and darkening the monitor.
since then i ran two cycles with my battery behaving like normal.
it is going down until zero and giving me the low battery warning again.
not sure which of the new settings made the change but i am happy this worked out and gonna keep the setting like this for now since it is also no problem for me to set my mac on sleep mode manually.

Reactions: B S Magnet
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.