Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhateverDewd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2017
So after switching out the original RAM, and replacing the original battery, my macbook booted perfectly, and everything seemed normal. Battery charged, RAM was registered and nothing else bothered me. Now, two days later, it's a whole different story. The machine is having trouble booting up. It gets almost through the apple logo loading screen, with fans running at full speed all the way, before shutting down, and restarting the process. I can, however boot it up in safemode (fans still running at full throttle). I can't seem to boot to disk utility, and I've tried resetting PRAM and SMC. Not sure if I actually did reset the SMC, but I followed instructions.

Also, to boot it at all, I am holding the power button down for 10 seconds, then I'm plugging in my power chord. It won't boot with just a normal click of the power button.
I also tried booting from a OS installer USB-stick, but same story with that one.

This is soo frustrating, as I cannot tell what the problem is. Could it be the battery malfunctioning? I also tried putting the old RAM sticks back in, to no avail

When booting to safemode it says 'no battery available' and 'low battery, your mac will sleep soon unless plugged into a power outlet' .
(I am plugged in)

Seems to me it's the battery, but any other ideas? And what's up with the fans?

Last edited:

DanDilla

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
Lüneburg, Germany
If you're lucky it's about the new ram or the battery, but after it was working for a few days, I don't think so.

My 2011 had exactly the same problems, booting to the apple screen, loading halfway through and then reboot.
Safe mode worked.

Was the graphics issue, which extended repair program and repairs at all ran out this year. There are some threads about this...
If you're lucky you can find a spare logicboard but I think you should consider a new machine.

To verify this, try to access your Drive either via Targetmode or,
if you don't have access to another mac,
take the drive out of your mac and connect it to any pc and download a tool to access the mac file system. (Maybe also possible with SIP turned off from safemode, not sure)

Then you just delete all the AMD drivers from the system (just google for where theyare) and you should be able to boot again if it's that problem.

My machine was very slow and had some graphic bugs, but for browsing and light work it -at least- worked again.

Similar thing happened to a friends 2011 on christmas while not at home and he was declined at the reseller in the first week of january. No service tickets available for these models anymore...
He says it still works for audio but starts stuttering etc as soon as it gets to youtube...

I was lucky and it happened the day before the new ones were presented so apple fixed it in 2 days.
I sold my 2011 for a crazy price and got a new one...

WhateverDewd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2017
What battery did you put in there in place of the original?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121823938988?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
[doublepost=1487075436][/doublepost]I got a powerful desktop computer, and it covers all my needs. I regret buying this laptop in the first place, and now I'm giving it all my attention, to get it out of my life. Delivered it for service at a non-apple shop today, and they were pretty sure it was related to the graphics card. I will post back here, if they resolve the issue. I will also list it for sale as soon as possible. If they do not succeed, this thing will probably end up in the trashcan. I've already wasted enough of my life on this.

Thanks for letting me know DanDilla

Reactions: DanDilla

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I agree that it sounds like the GPU issue, unfortunately.

The store will perform the VST, which will verify this. While there, they will likely also run further diagnostics that will check the battery and RAM.

WhateverDewd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2017
Weird thing is, it seemed to work fine until I did this "upgrade". I didn't mess with the GPU at all...

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
When booting to safemode it says 'no battery available' and 'low battery, your mac will sleep soon unless plugged into a power outlet' .
(I am plugged in)

That part doesn't sound so much like the graphics card. Have you removed the new battery, let it sit a while unplugged without the battery, maybe put the old one back in? Maybe worth a try, at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.