Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaans

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2014
Having owned a top-end gaming system, experiencing the problems of that realm etc. - I can safely say that we all suffer so Apple can brag about the added power (+10%), and our systems suffer to make them fail early, as simple as that

But honestly, most Motherboards treat CPU's the same way on default too, you have to manually calibrate them, for me, it's always underclocking - I had an 6700K and 7700K, I don't remember the exact numbers, but left alone, the Motherboard would feed 1.43V to the CPU, use Turbo, get the CPU close to 90C's - Just by disabling Turbo, setting the voltage to 1.23V, and clock to 4.2GHZ with Turbo disabled, I could get the ~same performance, and the CPU stayed below 70C on the same loads - with almost half the watt usage at max. - idle stayed low as well

I mean the performance to power ratios of CPU's/GPU's are just UNBELIEVABLE, I'm sure most of you reading this won't believe it either, but you usually get half the heat and watt usage, just by dropping the upper performance target by 10-20% - I had an EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW - in the end, it was refusing to even post, I solved the issue by just manually underclocking it actively, every time the system posted, performed consistently well, by just reducing the amount of default overclocking the GPU BIOS did. So it's not just an Apple problem either, the entire hardware industry is like this. I told EVGA about this, requested a weaker clocked GPU BIOS, but they were just like "Yeah we know, and go f yourself, buy a new GPU already" :D

It would take ANY Engineer, 1 hour, to get use an ECO mode that could do what I described, we'd get 10% less performance maybe, but there'd be less heat and less watt usage - The "Turbo Boost Switcher" is proof, I'm surprised even that is possible, Apple should've disabled access to the Turbo as well, by the way they do things, sadly, I don't wanna use a third party closed source product - so it's heat and watt for me

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I have the 8 core i9, 32GB RAM, and the highest spec GPU - so similar to OP setup.

I do find the battery drains quickly when not plugged into power (my main use is Final Cut Pro) although I do find that when I have my Dock (Caldigit TS3+) attached, which supplies a little less then the Apple charger that came with the system, as well as my powered external drive (which provides only a little power, so Im pretty much getting the full 96w) I don't seem to notice any decrease in power. Even while rendering etc. To be honest Ive not taken much notice as I haven't had any power concerns at all while working on FCPX throughout the day. It won't charge up very fast, but seems to stay constant while connected to power.

I'll keep a closer eye on it going forward and report back. Maybe I think there is no issue because I just haven't really been taking a look to notice......

kaans

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2014
How do you guys measure the watt pulled from the charger by the way?

Looking at coconutBattery, I see at most 35W used (for charging - not total pull I assume), got me a bit worried, want to verify the 96W-ability

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
How do you guys measure the watt pulled from the charger by the way?

Looking at coconutBattery, I see at most 35W used (for charging - not total pull I assume), got me a bit worried, want to verify the 96W-ability
iStat Menus (bjango.com) is a neat program that gives access to a lot of the sensor data in your Mac. It will show the wattage being drawn from the power adapter.

kaans

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2014
Ah, thanks, the "Install Components" part scared me away earlier

I wonder if OP had this issue too: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251257391

Instead of iStat, I checked the "Power" tab in System Information, the wattage is stated as 94W, I hope it's right, but for some reason it takes 5 hours to charge the battery, it might be slow charging now to prolonge the battery I guess?

ohangela

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2020
Hey guys I need some help. Here’s my situation. I have a three month old MacBook Pro 16”, practically top of the line. 8 core i9, 32gb ram, dedicated graphics card. The 16” pros ship with apples biggest charger y at, a 96w charger I believe. I’ve been having issues where the computer actually drains even while plugged in. Crazy right? If it’s not plugged in and I dare export maybe 400 photos in Lightroom classic, the battery will drain from 100 to 70 percent. If i work non stop in Lightroom classic with it unplugged I can drain it from 100 to 0 in less than an hour. Seems soooo strange to me. So I contacted Apple. I’ve been dealing with them for three weeks and after many screen shares, tons of remote testing. They’ve determined that the computer is only pulling 60w of power from my charger which obviously seems weird. They then after more tests came to the conclusion that working in Lightroom is a “heavy load” and even while plugged in its normal for the computer to pull Only 60w of power from Th e 96w charger because it’s compensating for what caused by Lightroom with the processor and graphics card and long story short I’m out of luck. Can anyone help me figure out how I can do something here? I have a $3000 computer that is essentially useless. Not only can I definitely not use it as a portable machine, I can’t even use it plugged in. Btw a zoom Call for work will drain it super fast too The word pro is right in the name of the computer. What am I missing?

Had sort of the same problem just now actually I was dumbfounded because of what happened. In my case, I was rendering a 7-minute lyric video I made using after effects (mostly text and a JPEG with a turbulent displacement effect) with about 90% battery life. Been rendering for about 30 mins to an hour (the fan was almost on full power bc of the render so it was loud at this point). I checked my percentage after rendering and it was at 10%. I understand that the render is the main culprit but from 90-10 in less than an hour? Is that normal? For my 4 month old 13" MacBook Pro 2019. Was brand new when I bought it. ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 3.24.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 3.24.55 AM.png
    457.7 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: Yurk

kaans

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2014
Sounds normal, not actual numbers but, you can use 10W and go for 10 hours, or use 100W and go for just 1 hour

I became very energy conscious for this reason, my dGPU is disabled when on battery, I also shutdown some things that I know that drains battery

But just to further the conversation, I stopped using Safari, there are too many bugs, I usually just watch Netflix on battery, there is a weird flashing that occurs just on Safari - Chrome goes for ~7+ hours - my battery is at 93% with just 50 cycles tho, I think I was pretty unlucky as far as the battery lottery goes, mine arrived depleted at 0% - usually when a li-po device arrives at 0%, you need to return it, it's where the battery gets damaged

Yurk

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2019
Sounds normal, not actual numbers but, you can use 10W and go for 10 hours, or use 100W and go for just 1 hour

I became very energy conscious for this reason, my dGPU is disabled when on battery, I also shutdown some things that I know that drains battery

But just to further the conversation, I stopped using Safari, there are too many bugs, I usually just watch Netflix on battery, there is a weird flashing that occurs just on Safari - Chrome goes for ~7+ hours - my battery is at 93% with just 50 cycles tho, I think I was pretty unlucky as far as the battery lottery goes, mine arrived depleted at 0% - usually when a li-po device arrives at 0%, you need to return it, it's where the battery gets damaged
What are you even talking about?? The macbook discharges WHILE PLUGGED IN. That is the issue here. These macbooks are defective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.