Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vkapoormd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
San Francisco, CA
My 17 inch MB Pro had a kernel panic a few days ago (it's only 3 months old), then with the reinstall CD, i could not get it to work with disk utility, i then tried an archive and install - and the HD would not mount - it showed it there, but it was not highlighted....i then took it to the Genius bar, where they had the same issue and could not get it to mount - based on this, the guy diagnosed a failed HD - but did recommend Disk Warrior to at least salvage my files...he went ahead and ordered me a new HD (which is not here yet) so - i got Disk Warrior, got my files (thank goodness!!!), and re built the directory on the HD and now it works just fine - no problems at all...so what should i do?

1. Keep the current HD (it would be easier than to have to trek back to the apple store and reinstall everything, give up my laptop for a day or so)

2. Just go ahead and get the new HD

i guess my big question is Disk Warrior an adequate enough solution and have i adequately addressed my problem...

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Get the replacement, and get a backup drive too. You may not be so lucky, nor disk warrior so effective next time. Great to hear it did the job this time round though. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.