Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fatties

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2006
so, in order to prevent rsd(s), the only thing i found consistantly work is to press the on button for 5 seconds until the beep of death which apparently underclocks the processors to 1ghz (is that right?)

i was wondering, since the beep sounds so death like (i imagin the scream everytime i hear it), does doing this hurt my computer in anyway? (like in the long run) or did apple just feel like hurting our feelings with a deathly beep?

thanks guys.

(yes i know another really dumb question)

p.s. if you didn't read my other note in the other thread, i can't part with my mb for up to a month for the next 2 months while i write my dissertation, so it can't be sent off till november. which is why i am asking because i want to underclock it during the bulk of the writing just in case my (now voluntary response of pressing control- s) decide to become an involuntary muscular action again.

pps. the scream as in the picture v.s. the movie, which has just co-incidentally been found. although i personally (please don't start arguments) find the picture absolutely vile (but technically amazing, like monet- boring, but amazing)

LifeCoach

macrumors member
May 19, 2006
doesn't he mean wheb turning it on. If you hold the power button down for a while it gives off a loud beep and then boots up. I thought that had something to do with installing a new firmware update but i'm probably making that up in my head.

fatties

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2006
i mean when you turn it on. holding the button down when you turn it on (and you can do this at anytime) makes the light flash and then you get a beep.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Can somebody translate the question into Japanese for me... :confused:

I don't understand Japanese at all, but I can't understand this question either. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.