Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdm1985

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Hi guys,

I have a MBA 1.6Ghz...I am getting frustrated as after about 10 minutes of videos on YouTube the machine gets VERY warm and the videos start to lag and the fans rev up. I would only just have the one web page open and no other applications.

Please can you advise on how I could significantly reduce heat and improve performance.

Thank you.

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
Hi guys,

I have a MBA 1.6Ghz...I am getting frustrated as after about 10 minutes of videos on YouTube the machine gets VERY warm and the videos start to lag and the fans rev up. I would only just have the one web page open and no other applications.

Please can you advise on how I could significantly reduce heat and improve performance.

Thank you.

Have you tried on of the laptop cooling trays? They have many versions now, but I would suggest one that is not USB powered so you can keep that precious port available. I have the same unit you do, but don't watch much flash video, but ripped or DVD video does not tax it at all. The thing that heats mine up is a time machine backup (or flash video, but like I said, I dont watch much of that).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.