Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
That's not true at all, most apps support multi-threading, and the OS supports multitasking at the lowest levels to distribute work across CPU cores.

Here's my Activity Monitor CPU history for my M1 Pro browsing a handful of websites with just Safari open browsing different websites on just two tabs. All 10 cores are being used in some capacity (albeit diminishing amounts for cores 5-10). Again that's just Safari with two tabs open browsing regular mainstream websites.

View attachment 2370470
looks like main tasks are performed via core3 and core 4 and those are not utilized fully so they could take over the tasks from the other performance cores too. Efficiency cores are doing the OS background stuff.
This supports my theory.

MayaUser

Suspended
Nov 22, 2021
M4 devices will come out after the iphone A18
So at WWDC i doubt will hears something about M4 performance....all eyes on September iphone pro event for that

Reactions: Torty

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
So,.... M4 is out for ipad..... is it just iterational upgrade? Or dedicated hardware in M4 that M3 doesn't have?

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
So,.... M4 is out for ipad..... is it just iterational upgrade? Or dedicated hardware in M4 that M3 doesn't have?
I'd imagine that the earliest we will see an M4 MacBook Air is October/November 2024. That would be 245 days or so as the top of the line MacBook Air. More likely would be March 2025. If you can hold out buying a new MacBook Air until then you should wait. If you need a new computer now, the M3 MacBook Air is a very good computer and will remain useful for years. Apple isn't going to stop supporting new features on the M3s for a long time to come.

Reactions: hohohong

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
there's rumour about 20" folder in 2025/2026. I might just get M3 first,.... and get the foldable in 2026.

arcite

macrumors 6502a
Is M4 chip just faster processing, incremental speed boost like M1 vs M2 vs M3? Or does it has dedicated section (like "Neural engine) just to handle Ai that M1,2,3 wouldn't be able to handle?

Words like ‘neural engine’ AI….ect….is mostly just marketting on Apple’s part. Look at more concrete specs, like number of cores, number transistors, bandwidth….. that’ll give you a better idea of performance increases.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
Again that's just Safari with two tabs open browsing regular mainstream websites
What are these websites doing that require continuous use of the CPU? A website should load and be done. Unless there are videos running and background Javascript running. I personally would avoid those sites as they may be doing something nefarious.
But personally I’m waiting until they’re up to my standards.
What exactly are your standards?

The machines that are available now are really quite capable and with the right software can do amazing things. Considering that the machines of today are 10 times as powerful as 15 years ago. The screen resolution, the color depth, the CPU speeds, the graphics capability are absolutely amazing. If you set too lofty a goal for your standards, you may wait a long time.

Reactions: Saturn007

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
there's rumour about 20" folder in 2025/2026. I might just get M3 first,.... and get the foldable in 2026.
Making decisions based on rumors is a recipe for disappointment. Buy what you want now and be happy. Fretting over the future is just a waiting game and you will always be waiting.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
I wouldn't listen to rumors at all, or make decisions about it. Buy what you need now. I also wouldn't buy a first generation Apple Foldable at all either.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
What are these websites doing that require continuous use of the CPU? A website should load and be done. Unless there are videos running and background Javascript running. I personally would avoid those sites as they may be doing something nefarious.
For this demonstration I was bouncing around to multiple websites across two tabs to show that Safari was multithreaded and would use the cores if available, something the original poster didn't think happened. One of those websites was MacRumors.

Kay_Ess

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2022
What exactly are your standards?

The machines that are available now are really quite capable and with the right software can do amazing things. Considering that the machines of today are 10 times as powerful as 15 years ago. The screen resolution, the color depth, the CPU speeds, the graphics capability are absolutely amazing. If you set too lofty a goal for your standards, you may wait a long time.
I’m sure that if you re-read my post and/or the post I’m quoting you can make an educated guess that’ll be pretty accurate on the first guess.

And in response to your last statement: that’s not an issue for anyone on this world so the point you’re making is non sequitur. In fact, I think your entire response to me is :p

And in your response to bradman83 you’re combining non sequitur with argumentum ad ignorantiam.

Please, if you truly would like to learn, first try to ask proper questions. No offense!

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
“No offense!” 😁

That's usually the first sign that there was offense!

I agree with the following, but with a HUGE caveat…

Making decisions based on rumors is a recipe for disappointment. Buy what you want now and be happy. Fretting over the future is just a waiting game and you will always be waiting.

I wouldn't listen to rumors at all, or make decisions about it. Buy what you need now.

I would tweak them..

“Ignoring rumors when making a buying decision is a recipe for disappointment. New releases could be imminent — always read the forums and study MacRumors's own Buying Guide and the historic pattern of releases BEFORE buying!​
If nothing is *credibly* anticipated soon, buy what you want NEED now and be happy. Fretting over UNKNOWN future releases is just a waiting game and you will always be waiting.​
It's the old saw: 'The best time to buy a computer is tomorrow!'”​
I would add that it's important to distinguish among what you *want*, what you *think* you need, and what you *really* need.

Don't be lured by that glittering new toy — its supposed big advantages often aren't all that they're cracked up to be! The novelty fades quickly, leaving regret, disappointment, tortured rationalizations, and a smaller bank balance in their wake!

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
any M4 mba isn't coming out until next year.

and it's too early to tell but it seems the M4 is just a slight refresh with a boost on neural cores because of AI and OLED apparently lol. it will of course be somewhat faster but not worth upgrading to if you have an M3. Maybe an M2 since that's what they are comparing it to (to make it seem more impressive). as M4 is on a more efficient 3nm process i don't see how it can be significantly better. it's just a cheap chip for Apple to make and boost profits. i bet the M4 could've been an labelled as a M3 Ultra but it seems we're skipping that.

It seems so strange we're on M4 after 7 months of M3. Again i put it down to cost. The M3 will hold up well against M4.

If you have an M1/M2 and don't need a new device right now and think you can wait until Spring 2025 then wait for M4 MBA. If you need a device now then get the M3 Air.

At most I think the M4 Air will be <15% faster with some extra AI cores (all recent apple devices have these cores so they won't suck at AI). At a push we might see 12-16GB RAM as the base memory config.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.