Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pablol

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Berlin
Hi-

I need a new Mac for work and am trying to choose between MBA 2.13 w/SSD or for the same price a 13" MBP 2.53 w/SSD.

My IT guy at work is saying the Air is not as powerful or optimal as a workstation and is more of a "lifestyle" machine.

However, from what I can see spec-wise these Machines would be just about the same in real-world performance since there's only a .4GHz process speed difference and then the 2GB vs. 4GB RAM.

I will be running MS Office primarily and opening large PDFs, etc. plus Internet. Nothing really more.

I prefer the size/weight of the Air but again my IT guy is making me feel guilty if I take it since he seems to think it's not as capable as the MBP.

What do you guys think? Is the 2GB RAM the only real difference here and should I be concerned?

thx!

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
remember that with the MBA the ram is soldered in, and you wont ever be able to upgrade it to 4 one day. The MBP also has much better battery life and a lot more ports. (SD, Firewire to name a few).

On paper the MBP is obviously the better machine, but it all depends on what you need in a machine. Portability or slightly improved performance? You posted this in the MBA forum for a reason: thats the machine you want. I suggest going to an apple store and testing them both out.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The MBA with SSD will do everything you need. It will open large files instantly and Office is simple too. It has plenty of power for the Internet.

Honestly, most people don't need the Pro. The MBA is far more fun, yet it's plenty powerful enough for the average Mac user's needs.

Good luck.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
The MBA with SSD will do everything you need. It will open large files instantly and Office is simple too. It has plenty of power for the Internet.

Honestly, most people don't need the Pro. The MBA is far more fun, yet it's plenty powerful enough for the average Mac user's needs.

Good luck.
I'll 2nd this. For opening PDF files, MS Office, and internet, the Air is more than enough. A G4 can do all that well enough for most people's needs actually. What you plan to do basically defines what the Air is made for.

pablol

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Berlin
But what about the RAM limitation? Do you think 2GB will get me by? This machine has to last minimum 3 years before I'd be eligible for a new one. Also, it comes with an Ethernet adapter, right as our office accesses the Internet via hard-wired ethernet cables (no wireless).

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
MBA will be more than enough for your needs. You may even be fine with the entry-level MBP or HDD-based Macbook Air.
Prepare to invest in a collection of hubs and adapter for use in office if you go for the MBA. The "one USB to the laptop" and the hidden power connector are minimalist and look really cool on the desk.

Hands Sandon

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
I've been reading this forum of late to get an idea of the Air's capabilities and from what I've read, if your using it in a work situation on a desk, it's very capable. That said the usb dongle may slow your internet speeds down more than you like. Someone here might be able to give you some feedback on that.

My main concern with the Air is simply that I'll use it when relaxing, no work and that it'll be on my lap and lying in bed 90% plus of the time and because of that I'm worried I'll block the vents and it'll annoy me or those not wanting to hear the fans whilst I surf the net in my house. If it wasn't for that I'd have no hesitation.

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
I've been reading this forum of late to get an idea of the Air's capabilities and from what I've read, if your using it in a work situation on a desk, it's very capable. That said the usb dongle may slow your internet speeds down more than you like. Someone here might be able to give you some feedback on that.

My main concern with the Air is simply that I'll use it when relaxing, no work and that it'll be on my lap and lying in bed 90% plus of the time and because of that I'm worried I'll block the vents and it'll annoy me or those not wanting to hear the fans whilst I surf the net in my house. If it wasn't for that I'd have no hesitation.

I am in that relaxed position now and I don't hear any fans lol. Also it is definitely fast enough for all your computing needs. Net via the dongle is fine unless your works internet connection is able to output more than 100mbit then the dongle has reached its limit

Hands Sandon

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
I am in that relaxed position now and I don't hear any fans lol. Also it is definitely fast enough for all your computing needs. Net via the dongle is fine unless your works internet connection is able to output more than 100mbit then the dongle has reached its limit

That's great to hear about the usb speeds, though I personally will practically always be on wifi.

I've read on these forums that the vents underneath get blocked on a bed or on your lap quite often. I'm glad you haven't had fan issues but it appears to happen often. Is their a way your able to keep the vents freer than others or are you just not watching any video?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.