Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac03ForLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
Washington, DC
Hello

So I usually run my 2017 Air in Clamshell Mode, with the power plugged in, and a USB hub + displayport plugged in.

Recently, I went to go somewhere where I needed to use this laptop, and when I opened it up, it was a white screen with multicolored lines running the length of the screen (up and down). I force restart it, and it just went to the same screen each time. Is my GPU faulty? Or is this typical and need to give it some time.

I have not tried a NVRAM reset or anything, I just noticed this, shrugged, and fell asleep last night. It works fine in clamshell mode, (clear video signal, etc). It just would be nice to be able to use it as a laptop now and then.

If it is a blown GPU, what are the realistic possible prices of repair? I am looking to get a new MBP, possibly 2018 or later to use for video editing and XCode applications (e.g. stuff my air couldn't handle)

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I don't think it would be a gpu problem since the air doesn't have a discrete GPU and an external monitor works. I'm tempted to say it's a loose cable, bad screen, or bad connection.

Was the air dropped or exposed to liquids?

Mac03ForLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
Washington, DC
No liquids or shock damage. This thing has sat on my desk for about a month or so. It used to go back and forth w me to school, but was in perfect working order. It's never even gotten a slight drop or spot of liquid on it either so im thoroughly baffled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.