Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
So here I sit with my 2.13 refurb rev.C MBA. Love it. So much that I just ordered the 24" ACD form Apple's refurb store (damn you scottsdale). I was about to buy Applecare and...I got to thinking....

1. Is Applecare really necessary for a machine with an SSD? 9/10 times it's the hard drive that fails (at least in my experience). Does Applecare cover the hinge issue?

2. I obviously didn't purchase the Air and ACD at the same time (they were one week apart). If I buy Applecare direct from Apple, will they cover both the Air and the ACD? How strict are they about the "on the same receipt" requirement?

Thanks for any input.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
So here I sit with my 2.13 refurb rev.C MBA. Love it. So much that I just ordered the 24" ACD form Apple's refurb store (damn you scottsdale). I was about to buy Applecare and...I got to thinking....

1. Is Applecare really necessary for a machine with an SSD? 9/10 times it's the hard drive that fails (at least in my experience). Does Applecare cover the hinge issue?

2. I obviously didn't purchase the Air and ACD at the same time (they were one week apart). If I buy Applecare direct from Apple, will they cover both the Air and the ACD? How strict are they about the "on the same receipt" requirement?

Thanks for any input.

with the macbook air, the ram is also located on the motherboard, so i think it is very wise to get the warranty.

the ssd is way better than a hdd but they still break, i have had mine replaced in my air already because it was causing my air to hang.

so i think the warranty is a for sure requirement.

i just purchased a runcore IV ssd for my air, its also 128gb but has a much faster speed throughput....i cant wait!

the hinges will in most cases be covered by warranty...the hinges in the rev c are a bit different...they look diffrent and look stronger...lets hope they last.

good luck!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
You can wait until almost a year is up and decide if you want AppleCare. You definitely need AppleCare separate for the ACD, but it's really cheap on eBay/aftermarket sources.

Congrats on your system, I hope you enjoy as much as I do.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
  1. I would get Apple Care, the logic board could cost in the 700 to 900 dollar range. :eek:
  2. Apple Care (AFAIK) only covers a monitor and computer when they are purchased at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.