Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urahoho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
I just got a rev B MBA the highest I have seen my cpu get to was 195 degrees F because it was sitting on my couch. the fan rpm was running at 6500 rpm.

Is this normal? On average mine runs at 160 F something surfing the web, chatting, word processing, etc

What are your temps? Include your rev version

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I just got a rev B MBA the highest I have seen my cpu get to was 195 degrees F because it was sitting on my couch. the fan rpm was running at 6500 rpm.

Is this normal? On average mine runs at 160 F something surfing the web, chatting, word processing, etc

Yes it's normal. My normal temps are within 80 deg C without blocked vents.

MAG.

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2009
NYC
Honestly, I think its a bit too high. Mine is maximum at 82 degree Celsius (Rev A) then the fans kick in and bring it down. Did you have anything blocking the vents? What's your room temperature? (It makes a difference for the Air from my experience)

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.

You shouldn't let any laptop sit on the couch... you could burn your house down... especially one while blocking the vents. The rev A MBAs normally run much hotter than the rev B/C MBAs. I suggest reinstalling thermal paste if you have problems with it. Bunch of threads on AS5 thermal paste. Can get 10 degrees cooler C.

urahoho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
ok I am going to let it run some more. It only hit 192 F when it was on the couch running stuff. After today and doing a time machine backup, the cpu sits around 160. so not too bad.

afr0Man

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2009
Same thing is happening ... crazy temperature (81 - 84 c )
but the weird thing is my MBA rev.A is dead slow sometimes when i watch Youtube :S and iStat Pro is showing 0000rpm like the fan is not working ! any Ideaz !!!?

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
I really don't understand why Apple would put the vents on the bottom of the computer.:confused:. It makes no sense. It's hard to tell, but are there vents near the hinge like on the MBP?

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I really don't understand why Apple would put the vents on the bottom of the computer.:confused:. It makes no sense. It's hard to tell, but are there vents near the hinge like on the MBP?

It's too thin and the hinge for the screen blocks it anyways. Apple had no choice but to put it under.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.