Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
The MBP screens are as good as they get but, that's only in terms of specs.
Other than watching HDR movies, it hardly ever makes much of a difference.

The speaker on the 15" MBA is almost as good as a 16" MBP. They're significantly better than on the 13"

As for OLED screens, it's basically the same situation. While you might think the infinite contrast ratio is a big deal it really isn't. That's because contrast ratio is limited by reflections unless you use it in pitch darkness. And so long as your black levels are low enough such that it is comparable to reflection, OLED makes no difference. And good modern LCDs are black enough for most indoor lighting scenarios.
There's also something most people probably don't think about but I think about it all the time since I've been using OLED as my desktop PC monitor for 4 years, and that is the fact that OLED transition times is incredibly fast, it changes to the next frame in less than 1ms. While that may sound like a huge positive for gaming, it really is terrible for watching videos, especially lower frame rate video like 24fps movies. I think Apple doesn't ship big OLED screens partially for this reason.

On an LCD you see, when one frame changes into another on a 24fps video which is every 41ms, this process itself takes ~20ms. So what you end up seeing is static frame for ~20ms, plus a cross fade effect for ~20ms. Compare this to OLED which is static frame for 41ms, and and bam it instantly changes to the next. This honestly looks awful.
On my PC when I play a movie I have to run it at 120hz for starters, and then use software to generate those crossfade frames I would normally get on LCD. So if this were on a Macbook, that would just mean it cannot also have ProMotion, or at least it needs to be locked to 120hz for video playback, and Apple needs to come up with some way to make the crossfade frames show on ALL video across the system, regardless of what browser or video player you're running, those are all real issues PC laptops just don't care, like you're on your own, do movies look choppy? tough break, better get used to it.

Last edited:

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
The MBP screens are as good as they get but, that's only in terms of specs.
Other than watching HDR movies, it hardly ever makes much of a difference.

The speaker on the 15" MBA is almost as good as a 16" MBP. They're significantly better than on the 13"
except for no promotion and if you use outdoors under a patio

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Many people (including myself) say it's more noticeable in Iphones and Ipads than on Macs. I didn't really notice it on the 14".
you would if swapping between something without it like a 24" iMac, it's jarring

macsforme

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
The other day I went to see a 15" MacBook Air in the Apple Store and found the display PPI disappointing. I always run the display at native res and everything on the Air screen is too big, the same is true on my 16" Intel Pro but since the Air screen is an inch smaller that makes it worse. The Apple Silicon Pros have a near-perfect PPI, element are not too small and not too big, but I've no reason to spend $2,500 to replace a three-year-old computer that still works for me.
I did have a 14-inch 2021 MBP (254 PPI) for a while, and I thought the UI was a touch small at exactly 200% scale (which is, interestingly, not the default scale setting), versus the original retina series at 220 to 227 PPI. On the other hand, I did used to scale my 2015 retina to "looks like 1680x1050," and I previously used a 2011 Unibody MBP with the higher-res matte screen (also 1680x1050, or 129 PPI), and I don't recall either of those being uncomfortable. Perhaps a factor of aging, although only mid thirties... 🤣 The 14-inch MBP mini-LED screen also disagreed with me for reasons other than the pixel density, though.

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
you would if swapping between something without it like a 24" iMac, it's jarring
I honestly don't know. I think it would depend on how long you're looking at the screen and your eye strain but I don't have a 24"imac.

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
pomotion is pointless, nobody playing CS:GO on this
SDR brightness is the same so they look the same under a patio
For me personally, I wouldn't call it helpful.

But like the iPhones and iPad once you've experienced it, it's hard to go back.
I had the first iPad Pro when it came out and it never felt significantly different
I have the iPhone 14 Pro, it doesn't feel significantly different either
I have my PC on a 4K 120hz OLED TV, with a 60hz LCD beside it, never felt very different

if somebody hand me a screen and ask me to identify if it is HFR, I can do it just by moving the mouse cursor around, and I can tell even if it's just slightly over 60hz like say 75hz, I know what it feels like. But 60hz has never bothered me either, like at all.

Reactions: Tagbert

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
I had a 15" Air, sold it, and went to the M3 14 MBP. I returned that and re-ordered a new 15" Air for one reason. The form factor. The 15" M2 is just so comfortable to work on, carry, and see. The combination of the larger trackpad, more spacing between the keys, and the thinness and weight distribution makes the Air a far more pleasant experience for me. Working for hours a day on a laptop I want as much comfort as possible. I do miss the old Air wedge design but the M2 is by far the best experience I've had.
Regarding "more spacing between the keys", all of Apple's laptops' keyboards are the same size: full-sized.

One of the wonderful things about Apple's laptops that started under Steve Jobs (and thankfully was not changed by Clueless Cook) was that all of Apple's laptops, regardless of differences in screen sizes, had keyboards were the exact same size: full-sized.

Last edited:

Surf760

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2017
Just curious, how is the promotion in MBP? Is it something that really helpful?
I can
I respectfully disagree and think it's person to person. I use my 16 inch as a second display below my 40" LG Ultrawide and can't tell a difference. Brightness and stuff, sure, but pro-motion not at all.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I have a 14” MBP for work and an MBA (not 15”) for home and I really never notice the promotion. If I’m on the patio, I’m not likely to be using a computer or I’ll at least sit in the shade.

Reactions: ctjack

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I have a 14” MBP for work and an MBA (not 15”) for home and I really never notice the promotion. If I’m on the patio, I’m not likely to be using a computer or I’ll at least sit in the shade.
under a patio is in the shade lol

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I did have a 14-inch 2021 MBP (254 PPI) for a while, and I thought the UI was a touch small at exactly 200% scale (which is, interestingly, not the default scale setting), versus the original retina series at 220 to 227 PPI. On the other hand, I did used to scale my 2015 retina to "looks like 1680x1050," and I previously used a 2011 Unibody MBP with the higher-res matte screen (also 1680x1050, or 129 PPI), and I don't recall either of those being uncomfortable. Perhaps a factor of aging, although only mid thirties... 🤣 The 14-inch MBP mini-LED screen also disagreed with me for reasons other than the pixel density, though.
I have the 14" M1 Pro for work, it's good but a little bit small. A 15" Air with the PPI of the Pro would be perfect for me but it's subjective.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Agree 100%. My workflow requires M1 Max, 10 Core CPU/32 Core GPU and 32 GB RAM level compute. I will happily switch my bulky 16” M1 Max MB Pro for the first Air that matches these specs — even without Micro LED/OLED display.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Yes, both can. I’m not sure if we are agreeing or disagreeing at this point. Just a little misunderstanding, i guess.
My point is outside under cover ie verandah, patio, deck all with a roof no sun, the 15” air is not as good as the 14” pro, I have had both.
Afterall they are a portable and here in AU we spend a lot of time outdoors.
Hope that helps you for your next comeback 😀

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
It sucks. You have ultra portable PC laptops with the same performance, same battery life with superior OLED screens and they cost less too.

Apple needs to put OLED displays in the MBA for the price they charge.
Which PC laptops would those be?

**EDIT**

I see you posted data lower down. OLED is very nice but the rest is hot garbage. Windows laptops only get those performance numbers when plugged it. Also the battery is 50% larger and barely equal in terms of usage on low energy tasks.

The only reason I continue to use a Windows based PC is gaming. In that respect Apple will never be able to compete due to their business model of selling the whole package without the ability to upgrade the CPU/GPUs.

Last edited:

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
I'll make one more related plug for the Air. So when I returned my 14" M3 MBP I took the money and went to the Apple Refurb store. I found a 15 M2 Air with 24 GB/1TB for $1779. With tax, it ended up being $100 less than the 14" M3 MBP 16gb/1Tb I had. When I received the refurbed Air it had 3 battery cycles! So I saved money and ended up with more memory and a new laptop. I'm a very happy camper and don't miss the 14 M3 at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.