Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tim100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 25, 2009
how can I re install leopard on a macbook air with snow leopard installed?

armoguy94

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Pop in a Leopard Install DVD. Boot into the disc, and once it's booted into the installation DVD then in your menubar click Utilities > Disk Utility. Click on your hard drive on the left side panel and go to the "Erase" tab. Name the drive what you want, and click Erase.

THIS WILL ERASE ALL CONTENTS ON YOUR HARD DRIVE.
It's completely safe, just make sure the things you need are backed up, your have everything you need backed up by Time Machine or another program.

Now you can install Leopard onto your hard drive, which is now blank and has NO operating system on it - you can install anything to it.

I don't see why you'd want to switch from SL to Leopard, but there you have it.

Enjoy

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Insert the Leopard disc, boot while holding C, then Erase and Install.

Backup your important files first.

armoguy94

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007

That's another way of doing it if it will let you downgrade like that, but it's now better to get into the habit of manually reformatting your hard drive, because from now on from the looks of it, that is what you will have to do - there's no "Erase and Install" feature in Snow Leopard, meaning there likely will never be one again in future updates.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
That's another way of doing it if it will let you downgrade like that, but it's now better to get into the habit of manually reformatting your hard drive, because from now on from the looks of it, that is what you will have to do - there's no "Erase and Install" feature in Snow Leopard, meaning there likely will never be one again in future updates.

True, but since Leopard has that option, why not use it?

tim100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 25, 2009

this is on an air. i cant get it to boot to the install dvd from remote disc

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
this is on an air. i cant get it to boot to the install dvd from remote disc

My bad.

You could use remote disc to mount the Leopard install disc, use Disk Utility to make a disc image of it, then restore it to an external drive and boot from there.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
If you did a time machine backup of the entire system before upgrading you could just revert back.

I am actually considering this myself. I am extremely disappointed with Snow Leopard. I think in the long run it will improve the MBA. But for right now Leopard is a better OS with better compatibility and faster.

A year from now when Apple fixes OpenGL slowdowns, and some apps use the technologies like OpenCL and Grand Central Dispatch. And perhaps most concern to me is the 64-bit kernel. People who can even boot into it experience slowdowns and worse. The MBA is fully 64-bit compliant and yet Apple has locked out 64-bit kernel for the MBA.

To me Snow Leopard just doesn't seem ready for the MBA and there are no apps taking advantage of its advantages and worse yet application compatibility problems.

Surely this isn't just me. Snow Leopard isn't really ready is it?

I might wait out 10.6.1 and see, but right now I am leaning towards reinstall Leopard and wait six to twelve months for everything to calm down and work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.