Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NielsO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2017
Hi,

I use my back-up/spare MacBook Air Late 2013 for testing the new MacOS High Sierra 10.13.
After updating last monday to beta 4 for developers I experienced some boot problems.
My MB has fire vault enabled so my drive is encrypted for other users. When I boot my MB the first thing I see is the login screen for decrypting and logging into my user account. When I typed my password and press enter/login I can see the loading bar slowly becoming 100%. This takes some time and longer than it normally would be. And then it's I guess stuck and nothing happens.

The only solution I have found so far is going into recovery mode (cmd+R) and install the latest update again. This takes a while too but my MB will boot and everything is fine. This is until I will restart my MB again. The same problem occurs every time and the same solution works also every time.

Does anyone have a permanent solution for this problem? I could try turning off the fire vault but I'm not sure that will solve the problem. Before I forget to mention, if my MB is running/working, everything is running buttery smooth. I have no problems with the APFS what so ever.

Thanks,

NielsO

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
Hi,

I use my back-up/spare MacBook Air Late 2013 for testing the new MacOS High Sierra 10.13.
After updating last monday to beta 4 for developers I experienced some boot problems.
My MB has fire vault enabled so my drive is encrypted for other users. When I boot my MB the first thing I see is the login screen for decrypting and logging into my user account. When I typed my password and press enter/login I can see the loading bar slowly becoming 100%. This takes some time and longer than it normally would be. And then it's I guess stuck and nothing happens.

The only solution I have found so far is going into recovery mode (cmd+R) and install the latest update again. This takes a while too but my MB will boot and everything is fine. This is until I will restart my MB again. The same problem occurs every time and the same solution works also every time.

Does anyone have a permanent solution for this problem? I could try turning off the fire vault but I'm not sure that will solve the problem. Before I forget to mention, if my MB is running/working, everything is running buttery smooth. I have no problems with the APFS what so ever.

Thanks,

NielsO

Disabling power nap (in sys prefs > energy saver) cured similar black screens for me.

NielsO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2017
This did not solve the problem... but thanks anyways. Does someone else have a solution?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.