Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ruzohr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2023
I checked my battery status this morning on my M1 MacBook Air and I don't know should I be mad or something else.
Cycle Count:95, Maximum Capacity: 83%, Status: Normal
I can't believe how battery can be so bad in laptop good as Air is. I'm normal user, without big demands (cycle count proves it).
This is my first Mac and can't imagine going back to windows laptops but also can't imagine replacing batteries every two years.
Is this thing normal and is there anything I can do about it? Does Pro models have better batteries inside?

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
Greetings
In my opinion, matters:
- cycles
- fact that your battery wasn't replaced (so it's original one)

Yeah, sometimes deficiencies can occur with some models, so check if you're Mac model not under recall bustle. If nope, and your charger is genuine Apple, then you may relax. That maximum capacity may be tricky and differ from time to time (heard couple cases from acquaintances)

Try being on charge when it's comfortable/possible, or use powerbank, so, you'd save your battery lifespan. If I'm not mistaken, while on charge and battery is filled up -- your battery is on a nap/relax, while Mac consumes power from power cord, bypassing the battery

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
having it on a charger at/near 100% most of the time is actually one of the quickest ways to kill a battery.
best way imo is to keep it below 80% for the most of it's life.
of course it is fine to fully charge it to 100% overnight, but make sure that you'll be using it on battery then so it will stay in the 20-80% range for the most part, with "100%" and "0%" only being the odd exceptions for a short time.

Reactions: Scarrus

Scarrus

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
having it on a charger at/near 100% most of the time is actually one of the quickest ways to kill a battery.
best way imo is to keep it below 80% for the most of it's life.
of course it is fine to fully charge it to 100% overnight, but make sure that you'll be using it on battery then so it will stay in the 20-80% range for the most part, with "100%" and "0%" only being the odd exceptions for a short time.
Pretty much this. Search for AlDente, it's an app that can limit your battery charging while on power so it stays at 75% for example. There's also other apps for this if you don't like that particular one for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: FreeThinker64_
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.