Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dennis089muc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2024
Hey all,

now that the M3 chip supports 2 external monitors, I am wondering if I can use a simple USB-C Hub to connect both monitors via a single USB-C port on the MBA?

At my office we use Dell monitors with an "unusual" configuration, meaning that Mac users have to connect both monitors with separate USB-C cables...

Thank you
Dennis

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
No, the constraint still exists because macOS doesn’t support MST. Most simple hubs on the market use MST to drive multiple displays.

You need a proper Thunderbolt hub or dock or a high end hub that states it supports multiple monitors for Mac.

kevcube

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2020
Hey all,

now that the M3 chip supports 2 external monitors, I am wondering if I can use a simple USB-C Hub to connect both monitors via a single USB-C port on the MBA?

At my office we use Dell monitors with an "unusual" configuration, meaning that Mac users have to connect both monitors with separate USB-C cables...

Thank you
Dennis
yeah this depends entirely on the connectivity situation of your hub. if it's usb4/thunderbolt3 then you're good. if it is cheap then no.

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
I have two Dell monitors in office. One U3224KB which is 6K resolution and with Thunderbolt 4, and the other one U2723QE which is 4K with USB-C (not TB).

My MBP 16" with M1 Pro can drive these two monitors with a single TB3 cable without any extra docks. The U3224KB is the main monitor, and the U2723QE is daisy chained to U3224KB with a USB-C cable.

Dell's user manual for U3224KB only shows daisy chaining with TB. But somehow, regular USB-C works fine too.

1711048275051.png

From the display information, both monitors connected to the MBP with displayport stream of 8.1Gbps with DSC.

I did notice extra CPU and memory usage with two monitors (6K + 4K), and the laptop runs a bit hotter.

I was on macOS Sonoma 14.3.1 when doing the initial connection and updated to 14.4 last week. Both versions work fine with the setup.

Reactions: Torty

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
I have two Dell monitors in office. One U3224KB which is 6K resolution and with Thunderbolt 4, and the other one U2723QE which is 4K with USB-C (not TB).

My MBP 16" with M1 Pro can drive these two monitors with a single TB3 cable without any extra docks. The U3224KB is the main monitor, and the U2723QE is daisy chained to U3224KB with a USB-C cable.

Dell's user manual for U3224KB only shows daisy chaining with TB. But somehow, regular USB-C works fine too.

View attachment 2361492

From the display information, both monitors connected to the MBP with displayport stream of 8.1Gbps with DSC.

I did notice extra CPU and memory usage with two monitors (6K + 4K), and the laptop runs a bit hotter.

I was on macOS Sonoma 14.3.1 when doing the initial connection and updated to 14.4 last week. Both versions work fine with the setup.
I only have a M2 MBA 15" at home. It supports only single external monitor, even with lid closed. I have no access to a M3 MBA, and unsure if such a setup works.

judethat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
I have an M1 MacBook for work and two Dell monitors at home and a docking station work gave to us and which connects both monitors on a single port. Works well, so the new M3 I just got for personal use should also work just as well, not tried it yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.