Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeadGear

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Just bought a MBA last week from the Apple store and purchased Parallels 7 & Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. For some reason I can't get access to Coherence mode and the screen when in Full Screen mode has 2 inch black borders on each side. Any ideas?

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Have you tried updating Parallels Desktop? There have been some updates to version 7 to address various issues. I have that same setup and it works fine. Does Full Screen mode work? Try putting it in that mode first, and then switch to Coherence.

HeadGear

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Parallels is fully updated, I've tried Full Screen which works and then Coherence which is still disabled. Also went into Configuration and set Parallels up to start in Coherence when opened but it just takes it to regular view instead.

Have you tried updating Parallels Desktop? There have been some updates to version 7 to address various issues. I have that same setup and it works fine. Does Full Screen mode work? Try putting it in that mode first, and then switch to Coherence.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Mine works fine - but in 32bit. I've never tried it in 64bit as all my previous Win7 installations have been 32bit.

HeadGear

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
I've done this several times. Found on Parallels to activate the software (I've done this step 3x as well). Is anyone else getting the 2 black bars on each side when in full screen.

Get out of full screen first, so that it's just in a window before turning it into coherence mode.

Hawkeye16

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Iowa
I do not have any bars, although I cannot go full screen when in coherence.

For coherence, try just dragging a Windows application outside of the Parallels window onto your OSX desktop. I believe that should throw it into Coherence mode as well if the switch is not working.

HeadGear

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
So called Parallels and they said all that I needed to do was install "Parallels Tools" and it would fix it. They were right, I hate when it's something that easy.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
So called Parallels and they said all that I needed to do was install "Parallels Tools" and it would fix it. They were right, I hate when it's something that easy.

Usually that installs automatically. In any case, it's good that you got it resolved. Parallels Tools is a set of drivers designed to make Windows operate properly within the virtual environment. When running in Parallels Desktop (or any virtual environment), Windows doesn't see your Mac's actual hardware the way it does in Boot Camp. It sees a "virtual" hardware profile that is emulated. Parallels Tools helps it operate properly.

HeadGear

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Usually that installs automatically. In any case, it's good that you got it resolved. Parallels Tools is a set of drivers designed to make Windows operate properly within the virtual environment. When running in Parallels Desktop (or any virtual environment), Windows doesn't see your Mac's actual hardware the way it does in Boot Camp. It sees a "virtual" hardware profile that is emulated. Parallels Tools helps it operate properly.

Good to know, thanks for further clarification.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.