Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manix

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Hi forum,

Just wondering, I've bought an USB 2.0 8 GB stick from CnMemory very nice tiny, little stick but unfortunately when i plug it in nothing happens. I would not show up in the finder as a new device nor as a external drive in disk utility. Mac OS is version 10.5.8 and macbook air modell rev. b. Wondering if it's not compatible!? On the packaging Mac Os was mentioned when I'm not totally mislead. Anybody can help me?

Thank you

Manix

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Ok it's definitely a USB 2.0 port which comes with the MBA Rev.B late 2008 should be compatible. What do I have to do to get access to the stick any recommendations? Already tried to google and search the forum with no success. Thank you

Manix

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Ok everything is fine with the stick now,

I want to install Snow Leopard now on my MBA. I have the dmg and want to install it from the USB stick. From another post a user said : "To make a USB thumbdrive with Mac OS X, all you need is a Leopard .dmg, which is used with Disk Utility.app to make bootable stick."

How exactly do I make this bootable stick?

Thanks

tsubikiddo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
How exactly do I make this bootable stick?

Thanks

maybe the dev. seed note is going to be handy;)

A. Install Snow Leopard using hard disk partitions:
Requirements:
Three hard disk partitions internal or external (you could use 2 but 3 recommended)

Hard disk partitions setup:
Partition 1 - download Snow Leopard disk image here
Partition 2 - restore disk image onto this partition
Partition 3 - partition to install Snow Leopard on
(Partition 3 is optional, you can install onto Partition 1 if you only have 2 partitions)

Procedure:
1. Boot off partition 1, using Disk Utility, restore the Snow Leopard DVD Disk Image onto partition 2

2. Boot off partition 2 and install Snow Leopard onto partition 3
OR if you only have 2 partitions:
2. Boot off partition 2 and install Snow Leopard onto partition 1

Note: Use System Preferences : Startup Disk to pick startup volume

I use this method to install SL, sans disc drive
let us know how you are coping, love to hear your feedback:)

Manix

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
maybe the dev. seed note is going to be handy;)

A. Install Snow Leopard using hard disk partitions:
Requirements:
Three hard disk partitions internal or external (you could use 2 but 3 recommended)

Hard disk partitions setup:
Partition 1 - download Snow Leopard disk image here
Partition 2 - restore disk image onto this partition
Partition 3 - partition to install Snow Leopard on
(Partition 3 is optional, you can install onto Partition 1 if you only have 2 partitions)

Procedure:
1. Boot off partition 1, using Disk Utility, restore the Snow Leopard DVD Disk Image onto partition 2

2. Boot off partition 2 and install Snow Leopard onto partition 3
OR if you only have 2 partitions:
2. Boot off partition 2 and install Snow Leopard onto partition 1

Note: Use System Preferences : Startup Disk to pick startup volume

I use this method to install SL, sans disc drive
let us know how you are coping, love to hear your feedback:)

I thanks so much I'll now try. Right now "startup disk" just shows Mac Os X , 10.5.8 on HD and not the two partitions... first problem maybe I have to format again I`ll just try. And I acutally want Snow Leopard to be installed on the whole ssd hdd is this possible?

The stick is already restored with the snow leopard dmg and ready to be used.

But which exact steps have to be followed now? I`ve put in the stick and booted while holding "c" mac os is slower than before I think it booted from the stick now. Sorry I`m a new apple customer therefor I`ll need help.

Thanks for the help..

Manix

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Hey! Just finished the installation with your instruction! Everything is fine all data, bookmarks and so on have been restored as well.

I'm just thinking maybe a clean installation would be better!?

Also what would be the best configuration for the MBA Rev B 128 SD HDD? Now I do have two partitions each 60 GB.

THANKS a LOT

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.