Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pizzawench

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
So I went to listen to some music tonight on my laptop and there was no sound coming out of the speaker. I tried unmuting, adjusting volume, checked that there were no other applications that might be monopolizing the sound. I opened up system preferences and made sure it wasn't muted there either.

The volume controls started to respond very slowly. Like 5 seconds after pressing the volume up or down key it would respond.

I shut down the laptop and when it rebooted I went to the sound section of system preferences and there was no audio output device detected. The sound was working fine earlier and unless someone came into my house while I was in the shower and smashed my speaker, I know of no physical shock to the system that may have caused this.

Could this be an issue with Snow Leopard? I installed it two days after it was released. Haven't had any issues yet.

Any word on this happening to anyone else before? Any idea what could be causing my speaker to just magically disappear?

Thanks in advance!

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Try resetting the PRAM.

Restart while holding down cmd-opt-P-R. Continue holding down the keys until you hear a second startup chime, then release.

Not sure if it could have anything specifically to do with SL. No problems here on our MBA and SL.

pizzawench

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Oh and I just remembered I have a pair of USB speakers so I tried those and they are working fine. They show up in the Sound panel of System Preferences and I can hear sound through them. But for some reason my headphone jack and speaker under the keyboard just aren't responding or being recognized :(

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I just wanted to double check that you heard two startup chimes. Sometimes, if the keys aren't held down, or are pressed too long after the system restarts, the reset won't "take".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.