Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IBDave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
California
I was doing the most recent software update today. During the process, it told me to power down. I did and now when I turn on the MBA, I'm only getting a black screen.

I have tried a force restart (control-command-power), PRAM reset (command-option-P-R), and the SMC Reset (Shift-Control-Option Power).

None of these steps corrected the problem. :confused:

Anybody have ideas on how I can get my MBA to boot?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Dave

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I was doing the most recent software update today. During the process, it told me to power down. I did and now when I turn on the MBA, I'm only getting a black screen.

I have tried a force restart (control-command-power), PRAM reset (command-option-P-R), and the SMC Reset (Shift-Control-Option Power).

None of these steps corrected the problem. :confused:

Anybody have ideas on how I can get my MBA to boot?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Dave

Unplug the battery then start. I had the same issue

IBDave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
California
Thank you Ayeying,
By unplugging the battery, I'm assuming you mean unplugging the AC adapter. I did and same thing. Little light came on but that's it. I then tried the other steps but same thing. I plugged the power back in and repeated. Still nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
Dave

dk152

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2008
A few questions before I can give you a better advice.
1. Do you hear the chime when you power up the machine?
2. Do you see the gray Apple logo?
3. Do you see the spinning wheel under the Apple logo?
4. Do you see blue screen?

From what you wrote, 2,3, and 4 are highly unlikely, but I need to make sure of the situation.

My gut feeling is that something went wrong during the update process, and the easiest remedy may be to reinstall the OS in case you have a back up of your data.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Thank you Ayeying,
By unplugging the battery, I'm assuming you mean unplugging the AC adapter. I did and same thing. Little light came on but that's it. I then tried the other steps but same thing. I plugged the power back in and repeated. Still nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
Dave

No, actually unplug the battery connection to the logic board.

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
Thank you Ayeying,

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
Dave

He might have meant popping the bottom panel and unplugging the battery from the motherboard.

dk152

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2008
If you have no response whatsoever, I think it is hardware-related. If your machine is out of warranty, i would try to unplug battery from the logic board - I am not sure if it will work because I never tried it myself. If it is under warranty, I would suggest you take it to Apple Store.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I designed a little switch concept and emailed to sjobs. The diagramshows how to use a switch that attatches to battery connector so could easily do that with the non-removable batteries. Simple enough to do. I don't know why Apple wouldn't do it especially with all batteries in all Mac notebooks are that way.

IBDave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
California
I think I'm hosed. :(

I disconnected the battery and I still have a black screen. The only activity is the drive light comes on.

I guess it's a trip to my local Apple store.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Dave

IBDave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
California
Update

I picked up my MBA from the Apple Store. They replaced the logic board and the OTD price was about $295 ($280 + tax).

It was out of warranty (of course) and I did not buy AppleCare.

Just thought I would update everyone with the final outcome.

Thanks again to everyone who offered help.

-Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.