Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grinny11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
I have a 2 month old MBA rev C 1.8. I went to use my machine that is running really hot all the sudden and I noticed that my machine won't run any lower then 1.8mhz. It used to throttle down all the time and now it wont and is running very hot because of this.

I checked activity monitor and nothing is taking more then 3% usage. Nothing spiking it up. Anyone help out with what I could do?

-Turns out my printer driver was spiking the processor. I didn't realize when looking at my activity monitor that I was only looking at user processes and not all processes. Reinstalling the printer fixed this. Thank you for your help ayeying.

grinny11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Well i have coolbook installed and I am using that program to tell me. I have figured out that coolbook installed is causing my cpu to not throttle down. Throttling works fine when I disable coolbook.

I have tried deleting and downloading coolbook again but this didn't fix it.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Well i have coolbook installed and I am using that program to tell me. I have figured out that coolbook installed is causing my cpu to not throttle down. Throttling works fine when I disable coolbook.

I have tried deleting and downloading coolbook again but this didn't fix it.

I'm assuming you have coolbook registered? Yes? If so, have you configured each speed setting/voltage?

If you don't have coolbook registered and just using it to look at speeds, then coolbook can cause your throttling to stick at 1.86GHz max. Just closing the program will allow it to throttle down.

grinny11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Yes coolbook is registered. Each speed and voltage is registered for battery and adapter. I have tried uninstalling it and reinstalling and resetting the voltages.

Coolbook will start at the lowest speed and then quickly go to the highest processor setting. This is very odd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.